Regs vs Diversity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've posted elsewhere about a new 7.3kW induction hob I have (yet to fit). It's to replace an old 6kW solid plate type. Currently supplied from a Crabtree C50 board with a Type 1 30A breaker on a 6mm T&E and the 6kW hob fed by a short length of again 6mm T&E from the ccu. The hob is made in Turkey and the English is in some places a bit lacking.

The new hob manual specifies a supply cable of 3x2.5mm HO5VV-F. So WITHOUT taking into account diversity I'm looking a a potential full load of 32A. Taking into account diversity then I get 10A + 30% of 32A (no socket btw on the ccu) which gives me 19.6A.

The 2.5mm H05 flex I have has a rating of 25A. I've taken the diversity calc from the OSG for a "cooking appliance" so in theory the 2.5mm is OK. BUT how does this sit with the regs as in surely there is always the potential with a hob (more so than an oven?) to achieve full load. So I have potentially the cable rating LOWER than the OPD.

My thoughts are to simply fit 6mm T&E from the CCU to the hob and IGNORE the manual. A bit worried though as it is not "heat resistant" like the H05. I could fit 3-core, 4mm butyl..........

Any thoughts on my thought process/the way to go would be appreciated.

Many thanks

there are many cookers throughout the country tht are wired in T&E, large flex etc and never have any problems...

i usally use either T&E or flex

Some of these hobs have links across terminals, linking 3 connections together on the connection plate, others supply them to be used if needed, so if you had a 2.5mm

I usually use H07RN-F to wire in ovens, hobs and cookers. I have stock in 2.5, 4 and 6mm. Pm me if you want a bit of 4mm, though I'd be happy putting it on 2.5 as it can't run full load for long. You'll probably find 6mm t&e won't fit in the terminal block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of these hobs have links across terminals, linking 3 connections together on the connection plate, others supply them to be used if needed, so if you had a 2.5mm

Last edited by a moderator: