Regulations for electrical wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie7

Reaction score
Hi, could someone please tell me what are the regulations regarding electric cables. Just had new socket installed by qualified electrician but he didn't realize he drilled through kitchen cabinet, not only the wall, and now small bit of cable runs through the inside of the kitchen cabinet. The cable is within reach so not sure if this needs some sort of trunking or cover? I don't really mind it but would not like to get into trouble when selling the house. Thank you

Jesus that is a mess. Did they create all the other damage.

Socket is on the wall in another room that is behind kitchen. I found that bit of cable in the cupboard with a lot of dust from the drill just after electrician left, I probably would have no clue what it is otherwise. It is well away from the socket. Thanks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_20221114_215529637.jpg
    IMG_20221114_215529637.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hum. I think you should contact him and ask him to come back to get some protection over that
Okay, thank you. I'm just worried that someone may pull it or chop it off once house is sold. Would not like to kill anyone. Thank you

I am trying to imagine where he was drilling a hole, from where to where, to come through the corner of a kitchen cabinet like that and not even notice he had done so (or he noticed and hoped you would not)?

A bit, yes, but is all inside so kitchen looks fine when cupboard is closed.
Looks fine when the cupboard is closed, you are far more tolerant that most people I should imagine. I've never actually seen anything like that.

I am trying to imagine where he was drilling a hole, from where to where, to come through the corner of a kitchen cabinet like that and not even notice he had done so (or he noticed and hoped you would not)?
I don't think he noticed at all, he drilled through the corner of the wall into another room. There was a lot of dust in kitchen cabinet so I believe he would not think I won't notice.

Looks fine when the cupboard is closed, you are far more tolerant that most people I should imagine. I've never actually seen anything like that.
I know, there are more holes on the upper shelf but I can patch this up so don't mind that much. If I'm honest I'm more worried about the damage inside the wall because I cannot see it and it took worryingly long and a massive drill bit to drill through.

Yes that's true but kitchen is only few years old and no funds for new one any time soon.

It is irrelevant on whether you intend replacing your kitchen cabinets soon or not..
you may have been...
and this cable installation method is going to cause you problems!!

The basic facts in my opinion are that is very shoddy, poor workmanship of the highest order...
and wiring regulation 134.1.1 does refer to "Good workmanship", "Proper materials", "Skilled or instructed persons" when erecting electrical installations.

I doubt many competent electricians would class that as "Good Workmanship"?

And I would be sending him a bill for getting the damage to your kitchen cupboard fixed..
I cannot think of any logical reason why such a bodged up would need to be done??

I'm not defending the guy, but it could be an honest mistake.

I did a job in a kitchen wiring a new hob. Easy job as oven was next to it and consumer unit was on wall behind.

Explained to customer I'd remove the oven, drill through the wall run cable down behind the oven and into the cupboard next to it to connect to the hob.
Customer agreed, so off I went.

Job finished, tested and everything back in place, Customer tries to close kitchen door, which is a sliding one that hides in the wall cavity.

Yep you guessed right, door doesn't move due to 10mm cable passing through it.

Cue a very humble apology from me, a total reinstall of the cable and a phone call to a joiner friend to replace a door.

I kicked myself for not noticing the door, but also wondered why the customer didn't mention that it was there.

I measured twice before drilling, but still this occurred.

Accidents happen, its how it's dealt with that the customer remembers. Take responsibility for it, and fix it, no matter what it's going to cost you. You have insurance if its a big issue, or your working for free for a few days to cover the cost.

Give the guy a call, explain the situation and see how he responds.

Okay, thank you. I'm just worried that someone may pull it or chop it off once house is sold. Would not like to kill anyone. Thank you
Someone else’s stupidity after the house is sold is not your concern. They could do that to any cable pipe etc.

It is irrelevant on whether you intend replacing your kitchen cabinets soon or not..
you may have been...
and this cable installation method is going to cause you problems!!

The basic facts in my opinion are that is very shoddy, poor workmanship of the highest order...
and wiring regulation 134.1.1 does refer to "Good workmanship", "Proper materials", "Skilled or instructed persons" when erecting electrical installations.

I doubt many competent electricians would class that as "Good Workmanship"?

And I would be sending him a bill for getting the damage to your kitchen cupboard fixed..
I cannot think of any logical reason why such a bodged up would need to be done??
Thanks a lot for your opinion, I agree with you but also believe he is completely oblivious of what happened.

Thanks a lot for your opinion, I agree with you but also believe he is completely oblivious of what happened.
Unless he fished the cable through without needing to see where it travelled I would be getting him back. He has destroyed the cupboard.

Latest posts