relatives boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
My nanna got a boiler installed no central heating radiators just domestic hot water.It was not my job it was a company.Im up on central heating systems but when you turn hot water tap on it takes 30 secs to be warm is this normal?.Upstairs at boiler there is just a spur and flex into boiler.What will solve this?Im thinking a stat to keep the water constant.Obviously the way it is now it gets hot eventually then when not used it cools down it needs to be instant really?Any ideas?

you could have a constantly pumped system,

a lot of overkill though, and will cost a fortune in keeping the pumped water hot.!

all combi boilers are the same, even a system boiler where the tap is a distance from the cylinder has the same issues,

put an instant heater at each tap?! ;)

+1 for long pipe run is probably the cause.

Try lagging the whole run of the hot pipe. It won't stop the delay in getting hot water to the tap the first time, but use the tap again a few minutes later and the water should be hot still.

It's also worth looking at the pipe run. My MIL had a new boiler fitted, a wall hung boiler, that replaced an old back boiler behind the fireplace. So the new boiler was in a new location. The lazy plumber kept most of the old pipework, meaning the hot water ran from the new boiler, right across the house, then all the way back again to the kitchen. He could have cut the length the hot water has to travel to about 1/4 if he had re routed some of the pipes

My observation is that it's mostly oil fired combination boilers that maintain a small tank of hot water in the boiler for quick start up. I guess that's because an oil boiler takes longer to fire up and get going than a gas boiler.

Andy its a gloworm betacom 24c surely it doesnt need a thermostat this is for central heating to keep pipes and radiators at a temperature.

My old boiler vailant would take 30 secs to give me hot water from the utility room to the shower,,,,cold pipes,,long run

my new boiler Ideal mini 30 takes 15 secs to warm up but if i increase the water temp at the boiler it takes less time

i think you are trying to fix something that is normal in any house.

As said previously there may be a setting that keeps the small cylinder warm but thats a waste of time.

the other point is that if the system is for water only you are missing out on the heating keeping the boiler warm.....