replacing a power shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Dear...

Balance your electrical current with this 63A shower protection unit residual current device (RCD). It will disconnect the circuit whenever it detects a potentially dangerous unbalanced connection. It's ideal for suitable for single circuit applications. It has a single pole.

Guarantee - 1 year

Fixings not supplied

This is for commercial installations only

Jeez.. if they have no idea what they are selling them there really is no hope...

Search RCD spur they take up a bit more room thana standard fcu.

:|

So the existing circuit up to the switch will be kept, save for insertion of RCD and the current cable after switch currently passing via transformer to shower will be replaced by twin core and earth rated to at least 6amp.

Mike

I know what diy'ers are like. I tried removing a bar heater without isolating it properly, but that's another story.

There is an electrical wholesalers near me that are really helpful, so I'll be sure to ask them. B an Q don't really have people on hand, it was posted as an example!!

The spur is already there but is accessible and can be modified.

The plumber who quoted made no mention of electrical work needed, hence he ain't getting the job!

Mike

Exactly,  something like this looks ideal, it's worth it to protect the shower circuit properly.

Mike.

So plumber won't plumb shower in without electric sorted, shower warranty not valid with DIY install.

What did tickle me was the electrician charging twice as much to sign off electrics that I fit as it costs for him to do. Clever.

Why wouldn't he? You want him to say your DIY electrics is safe and compliant with current refs, the moment he signs he becomes legally liable for it should anything go wrong it would be he that is prosecuted not you. You'd possibly be the prosecution. 

So with that information how much would You charge? 

never seen a 24v power shower before. but im not surprised its not earthed. it will be specifically not earthed for a reason. and if its from the ring, you cant get 'mcb thing'. im guessing what you have may be an RCD spur or just a normal spur.

you could replace with another power shower which if its mains voltage will most likely require an earth (and will probably need a new cable to the spur / switch), but you would need to install a dedicated shower circuit to have an normal electric one

your new shower will most likely also require RCD protection (definitely if its 230v inside the bathroom), you will need to fit this if the circuit doesnt already have RCD protection

Only just reading this thread.

Guessing it's one of the old New Team showers - NT-35 / NT-50 I think they were. I've removed one in the last couple of years. The pump parts are no longer available. I think I still have the (black) 24V transformer that was still good.....so I kept it.

Oh dear,seems this is a case of another diy'er that doesn't like the advice he's being given.Last night my mate's son in law asked me about putting an extra socket below the worktop in the kitchen,he'd been told it was an easy diy job,his answer was brilliant,"as far as I'm concerned with electrics diy stands for don't involve yourself".He knows his limitations and would much rather pay me to do the job correctly than risk a problem later,I just wish more people had his attitude.

Oh dear,seems this is a case of another diy'er that doesn't like the advice he's being given.Last night my mate's son in law asked me about putting an extra socket below the worktop in the kitchen,he'd been told it was an easy diy job,his answer was brilliant,"as far as I'm concerned with electrics diy stands for don't involve yourself".He knows his limitations and would much rather pay me to do the job correctly than risk a problem later,I just wish more people had his attitude.
On the contrary,  perfectly happy with the professional attitude and advice given. I fully accept his charges, and apparently testing is roughly twice as much as it would be to install it himself, fair play I reckon.

I can do this installation,  it's easy, but if it's not done right and certified I risk invalidating the warranty and having plumber's refuse to work on it if it needs repair.

I've done other electrical work, it's plumbing I'm lettuced at.

You could also invalidate your house insurance,

I got called to a fire a couple if years back, I was subbing for the council,

They asked my opinion as the tenant was going to sue them for dangerous electrics,

I reckoned it was the shower, they hadn't installed one, the tenant couldn't show any paperwork, 

The council sued her for the repair works, whole house had smoke damage and hall and stairway was totally gutted, fire damage throughout,

Tenants insurance company walked away,

She went bankrupt during the court case. 

:C

You could also invalidate your house insurance,

I got called to a fire a couple if years back, I was subbing for the council,

They asked my opinion as the tenant was going to sue them for dangerous electrics,

I reckoned it was the shower, they hadn't installed one, the tenant couldn't show any paperwork, 

The council sued her for the repair works, whole house had smoke damage and hall and stairway was totally gutted, fire damage throughout,

Tenants insurance company walked away,

She went bankrupt during the court case. 

:C

Awful, but the lesson here is true, I would be very reluctant to mess with other people's wiring, and never in a rental or council property.

The shower was simple enough, but as I said,  the plumber, quite rightly wanted the electrics signed off before he would commission the shower.

If I'd done the wiring, albeit correctly I would have still needed, again quite rightly to have paid a qualified electrician. DIY is fine, but not always the best option.

I can do this installation,  it's easy, but if it's not done right and certified I risk invalidating the warranty and having plumber's refuse to work on it if it needs repair.

I've done other electrical work, it's plumbing I'm lettuced at.

You risk a heck of a lot more than that if it's not done right, you risk your life.

thats an interesting attitude considering that if you make a mistake with the plumbing you get wet, but making a mistake with electrics you die in a fraction of a second.

but get the electrics wrong and it doesnt flood the house

it might make a stain on the floor when you **** yourself or throw up as a result of the electric shock though. Or if nobody finds you for a while cos dead bodies do tend to leak somewhat if left unattended for a while