retraining after along time

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian109

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question, I was an electrician about 20yrs ago and had passed my Electricians cert Part A and B as it was along with the 16th Edition. I know I will have to retrain but do not know exactly what qualifications I need these days to beconme an domestic electrician. Does someone know what qualifications I would need to take to become qualified again? I have been in touch wth OLCI (training centres) and they have suggested various courses costing about

remeber thsi my opinion only ... most of the lads on here dont like the 4 day wonders (including me) but if your expreiencd i would say you just want to get back into the work place with minimum cost .

remeber thsi my opinion only ... most of the lads on here dont like the 4 day wonders (including me) but if your expreiencd i would say you just want to get back into the work place with minimum cost .
its the 5 day wonders with no previous that are the problem! if you already have a good knowledge, then its not so bad

still dont agree with it .

tommorrow 2391. :(

then next month starting the 2330 gulp.

i know i doing it all backwards lol.. but hey thats just me .

You are already an electrician, C&G s A & B with 16th. edition . Excellent !! Having your "B" would qualify you as a JIB Approved Electrician if you were employed. So keep the rip off

You are already an electrician, C&G s A & B with 16th. edition . Excellent !! Having your "B" would qualify you as a JIB Approved Electrician if you were employed. So keep the rip off

I am qualified if I can dig out my old certificates. I do know i did the A and B (C&G 236 part one and 2, I believe) I suppose what I am really asking is what is the legal minimum to start practicing again?

I think I will look at doing:

17th Edition and the part P and apply for JIB Approval Status.

Does this sound about right? I did think the courses OLCI recommended seemed excessive. Just for info below is what they suggested I did.

Thanks for help

ian

O

If you were witha JIB firm before, they will have a record of you and can issue a card for self employed .
he means the jib will have the record not the company Guiness Drink

:x

And if the JIB do have a record then just call 'em and tell 'em your national insurance number and they can check. At least they can at the SJIB. (Scottish Joint Industry Board.)

Training is an industry these days. If you ask a training company for advice they will "advise" you to do lots of expensive "courses" most of which will be a laptop slide-show with the "instructor" pressing the space bar and reading whatever appears on the screen.