Risk assessment and method statements

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deano7810

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody out there could help me. I've been asked to supply a risk assessment and a method statement ( they called it RAM). I'm not to sure what needs to go on them, can anyone point me in the right direction for a template. 

A set of 'RAMS' need to be specific to the type of task you are carrying out. By all means seek generic templates on the internet but these will be of no use to you whatsoever. 

RAMS are two parts. 1 is the Method Statement. 2 is the risk assessment. To be honest a good method statement will not need a seperate set of risk assessments as the risks and control measures will be included within the MS. 

The type of things included within you RAMS would be:

where you are working

closest hospital

closest fire station

emergency procedures

map of work location

competences

Further to this and what is the most important bit is the 'methodology' Some contractors require this to be an idiots guide to to the job/task.  With every little detail of the job written down. Kind of like a story. I think this is old hat and has been proven to not reduce risks. Current thinking is to limit content but improve on quality. So you would include only the relative risks and detail how you are going to manage those risks. 

Big hitters in our game would be:

working at height

working with electricity

dead working

live working

drilling

Each of these you would write about how you are going to ensure these risky tasks are controlled as much as practical. It is also a good idea to put a bullett point description of the job you are doing. 

The MS should then be briefed out to the operatives carrying out the work and they must sign the MS to say they will adhere to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit to going for the "combined" RAMS layout. Tbh, reading down the left hand side they're as much a step by step as to how I'm going to do the job.....showing it's been well thought out to my mind. I can't see how having played out the job in your mind then on paper won't reduce risks. Dive in to something not having planned it and you're asking for trouble. It's when you deviate from the plan and do things ad hoc  it tends to go t!ts up! 

Personally I thing many a tradesman has had an accident because he's been too worried about getting a RAMS done and hasn't been concentrating on the job in hand!

Isn't there a story of the outgoing head of somewhere (the IET?) who used to, every year, give a rousing speech full of witty remarks and anecdotes. Before he spoke he'd always consult a piece of paper, study it then launch into his speech. Upon retirement he gave his last speech and someone asked what was on the bit of paper. The reply came back "Same as every other year, red wire live, black wire neutral!" He was just a funny fella who knew his job!

Latest posts