Routing cables to consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty_one

Reaction score
Hi, We are renovating a bungalow, putting in a new wiring scheme. The existing consumer unit is on outside wall and current cabling is laid in the cavity to the roof, about 1m length. What are the current regulations to run new cables to an updated consumer unit please, presume we cant run them down cavity as before? 

Cheers in advance

Dave

There are many rules to abide by, some dependant upon where you live. 
you would be best to employ the service of a local electrician. 
Are you proposing to do the works yourself? 

In my profession I would offer the same advice! Yes we are doing the cabling etc and then getting a qualified electrician to check it all and sign it off. We're in Shropshire, but thought that current regulations would be national?

Cheers

Dave

In my profession I would offer the same advice! Yes we are doing the cabling etc and then getting a qualified electrician to check it all and sign it off. We're in Shropshire, but thought that current regulations would be national?

Cheers

Dave

Have you got an electrician lined up? I, and many others will not sgn of work unless involved from the beginning of a job so we can supervise cabling, circuit design etc etc

Have you got an electrician lined up? I, and many others will not sgn of work unless involved from the beginning of a job so we can supervise cabling, circuit design etc etc

I use a local company to do my landlord certificates, they test all circuits, equipment etc.

It was a fairly simple question guys, I cant get an electrician to undertake the full rewire until at least February, so running out cable is straightforward. My question is the existing cabling went from the CU on an external wall up about a meter or so to the loft. However this was originally fed up the cavity wall.

Cheers

Dave

I use a local company to do my landlord certificates, they test all circuits, equipment etc.

It was a fairly simple question guys, I cant get an electrician to undertake the full rewire until at least February, so running out cable is straightforward. My question is the existing cabling went from the CU on an external wall up about a meter or so to the loft. However this was originally fed up the cavity wall.

Cheers

Dave
If you are a landlord and this property is for rental then you should use an electrician throughout the process and February is none too far away. I am always amazed an electrician will sign off work they have had little or no involvement with but as you say it is straightforward. 

Cheers

Dave
now I’m even more intrigued? 
you have access to a local firm who are familiar with you as they look after your other properties and yet you are asking on a forum a question that they could best advise as they can visit the property, and you are pulling the cables now but electrician is t available until February, that’s a long time with no power? 

Are we not getting the full picture here?