Consumer unit location and EICR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyUK

Reaction score
I realise this is probably hard to answer without seeing, however… I have a rental flat with consumer unit located inside fitted kitchen units. It can be accessed if you get on hands and knees, but it is quite tricky. If a shelf was removed from the cupboard it would be much easier.

I understand it should be at least 0.45m from floor and less than 1.2m, which it is.

Would this “fail” eicr test?

Also, i believe cables run in cavity which contravenes current regs, but I understand as long as safe is ok as regs don’t apply retrospectively?

You are NOT assessing the installation to the latest version of the regs, nor their to gauge against building regs

if anything it’s a comment so the next spark knows where to find it

there is no such thing as an EICR “fail”

Would this “fail” eicr test?

EICR's do NOT 'pass' or 'fail'..
There is no section on the report to give such a comment..

There is however section E on the model forms where a satisfactory or unsatisfactory assessment can be given.

Do you consider there is an immediate danger to any persons using the installation?
Or any potential dangers to any persons using the installation?

Which are the basic benchmarks for an EICR to recommend that an installation is unsatisfactory for continued use.
(e.g. C1 or C2).

I once went to a small job where the CU was in the back of a corner kitchen cupboard. I could just reach it whilst on hands and knees. Job was for a college lecturer who had had the kitchen installed around the board - he lectured the electrical courses :ROFLMAO:

reason I ask is I had an electrician out who said that it would be marked as unsatisfactory should the eicr be carried out, which I thought was ridiculous as the unit can still be accessed. This would put me in a position where I would need remedial work doing within 30 days. He’s a time serviced sparky over 30 years. A more “youthful” person may have had a different opinion.

. A more “youthful” person may have had a different opinion.
The youth tend to be worse as they don't understand previous versions of the regs.

Something like that would at worse be a C3, which in laymans' terms is advisory.

If it's a brand new kitchen, then that's a bit different as it should have been sorted out as part of the works - kitchen fitters and builders can be a bit dumb about these things sometimes.

If it's impossible to open the board and work on it at the back of the cupboard, then that is also a different matter as it eould be impossible to do the testing properly.

If it's impossible to open the board and work on it at the back of the cupboard, then that is also a different matter as it eould be impossible to do the testing properly.
It’s a pretty old installation of units.
This sounds like most probable reason. I think solution may be for me to cut back units, get test done and then re-assemble afterwards - bit of a ball ache mind.

Last edited:
reason I ask is I had an electrician out who said that it would be marked as unsatisfactory should the eicr be carried out, which I thought was ridiculous as the unit can still be accessed. This would put me in a position where I would need remedial work doing within 30 days. He’s a time serviced sparky over 30 years. A more “youthful” person may have had a different opinion.

That could only be applied if the cover can’t be removed from the fuseboard / consumer unit

It’s a pretty old installation of units.
This sounds like most probable reason. I think solution may be for me to cut back units and re-assemble afterwards - bit of a ball ache mind!

Would this be acceptable iE if only accessible for testing with units removed?
I've come across boards in many kitchen cupboards, and small understairs cupboards for that matter, or little cupboards over the front door, or.... However, it wasn't 'non-compliant' at time of installation, which makes it a bit of a grey area as to current accessibility. One regular issue I've encountered has been building fire rated enclosures around electrical boards in hallways in rental properties - the number of times those have been constructed so you can't get the lid off 🤦‍♀️

If you want to create temporary access, then it's a bit like an MoT, it passes at the time of testing, after that....

I would try another sparky, or possibly get a quote to move the board, if there's anywhere else it could go that isn't too far away. Ultimately it will cost you more whenever anyone turns up to do any work if access is difficult, and it saves any more daft arguments

Tell him he is talking tosh!
Ask for the relevant BS7671 regulation number that they consider would warrant a C1 or C2 code for the physical location of the CU.

Have a read of Best Practice guide 4.
It offers a lot of useful advice

Show us a pic.
Sorry for delay, realise its been a while!

I dont have pic showing location but heres the CU. It has different brand MCBs hence reason for posting. Is this an issue? It's for a landlord EICR. Are the gaps an issue?

It can be accessed but very awkward. Will be attending shortly to get proper pics.

IMG-3057.jpg

Last edited:

I dont have pic showing location but heres the CU which appears like its been cobbled together from different units to me, hence reason for posting. If so would this be essential to replace? It's for a landlord EICR.

IMG-3057.jpg

got any photos with the cover off ?

that configuration looks unusual to say the least - and likely to have a couple of C2’s at least - and that’s just from the photo

so best you budget for a new CU

I dont have pic showing location but heres the CU. It has different brand MCBs hence reason for posting. Is this an issue? It's for a landlord EICR. Are the gaps an issue?

It can be accessed but very awkward. Will be attending shortly to get proper pics.

IMG-3057.jpg
Yes the gaps are a serious safety issue. C1 fail. Or ' unsatisfactory' . Easily sorted. Mixed MCBs is also an issue.

There is something seriously wrong there. The main switch is in the wrong place and the cover has been butchered to fit, just look across the top of the protective devices.

Looking at the picture of that CU how accessible it is likely to be a minor issue when it looks like some major bodging of the CU has been carried out

For me the main consideration is how accessible is the main switch for emergency isolation, if that is difficult then it is likely that any other access needed to work on the CU is going to be severely affected

Latest posts