Rubbish Fluorescent Fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else used Philips Pacific or even worse Sector Vapour proof fluorescents? I fitted some today and they are useless. The push in terminals are pathetic. the gear tray is held in place with plastic clips that dont hold and theres no strings to suspend it from while you are connecting it. Then theres the diffuser, almost impossible to get the clips on and support the diffuser at the same time.

The whole thing is very flimsy and poorly made. You have to think whats going to happen the first time anyone goes to re lamp. The clips will fall out or break even, the gear tray will fall on your head.....

Maybe I just had a bad day...... feel better now.

Fitted a customer supplied from B&Q flourescent once. Suffice to say i'd never do it again. Eterna i think was the make and probably the worst light i've ever fitted. It also blew up the day after i fitted it and set off the fire alarm for the building. A Sunday call out then was needed to refit the old and i mean old thorn fitting as it was all i could do at the time.

Never got paid either as i felt embarrassed to ask. Not even my fault!! It was for the church though.

The eterna light fittings do not last, personally I think Fitzgerald light fittings where best never had a problem with them. I use thorn now they seem a lot thinner metal and not as good quality.

Only ever fit thorn now. They have got thinner than what they were years ago but the quality is still fairly reasonable. Tamlite is another shocker and best avoided, you pretty much have to build the things!!

The philips ones are even worse, they dont have clips for the diffuser on the vapourproof ones. You have to somehow bend the plastic to get it on and off. cant see them lasting long (maybe thats the idea so you have to keep buying them?)