Run for a Hot Tub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sellers,

Can you, if it is going to run at 90 deg C & your "kit" is not rated at that.

MOST general applicaitons of XLPE cannot be rated according to the full cable rating as the "kit" either end is NOT rated at 90 deg C.

It has to be run at 70, thus the same current carrying capacity as pvc.

Sellers,

Can you, if it is going to run at 90 deg C & your "kit" is not rated at that.

MOST general applicaitons of XLPE cannot be rated according to the full cable rating as the "kit" either end is NOT rated at 90 deg C.

Sellers,Can you, if it is going to run at 90 deg C & your "kit" is not rated at that.

Now thats one I've never thought of! Whats the general rating of MCB's and such like, is it 70?

Also at the max current carrying capacity of the cable, whats the temperature likely to be?

Sellers,Can you, if it is going to run at 90 deg C & your "kit" is not rated at that.

Now thats one I've never thought of! Whats the general rating of MCB's and such like, is it 70?

Also at the max current carrying capacity of the cable, whats the temperature likely to be?

"Most" kit is rated at 70.

At full current carrying capacity the cable will reach 90 deg once it reaches thermal equilibrium.

This is obviousy not instant.

"Most" kit is rated at 70.

At full current carrying capacity the cable will reach 90 deg once it reaches thermal equilibrium.

This is obviousy not instant.

Thanks for all your help Guys,

And yes, I did rethink the flexi conduit.

As per Sellers & Badger I went looking for 3 core 6mm SWA - stores only had 4mm so I have nabbed that for the moment (the label even helpfully states 49Amps in air so I am assuming XPLE).

Now, anyone need some 10mm2 T&E......

Thanks for all your help Guys,

And yes, I did rethink the flexi conduit.

As per Sellers & Badger I went looking for 3 core 6mm SWA - stores only had 4mm so I have nabbed that for the moment (the label even helpfully states 49Amps in air so I am assuming XPLE).

Now, anyone need some 10mm2 T&E......

Sidewinder,

In reality, most will be using XPLE cable for it current carrying ratings rather than it's final temp rating. Having a situation where your looking at an installation ever coming close to 90c is going to be very much a rarity to say the very least....

XLPE cable had quite a cost implication over PVC at one time, Are you saying that cost difference has diminished ????

Sidewinder,

In reality, most will be using XPLE cable for it current carrying ratings rather than it's final temp rating. Having a situation where your looking at an installation ever coming close to 90c is going to be very much a rarity to say the very least....

XLPE cable had quite a cost implication over PVC at one time, Are you saying that cost difference has diminished ????

Larnacaman,

Yes the price differential has diminished.

The reason for the higher current rating is the different insulation thus allowing a higher running temperature.

XLPE - cross linked poly ethylene is a thermosetting polymner, thus it does not soften upon heating.

PVC - Poly Vynil Chloride is a thermoplastic polymer it can be reheated & reporocessed, thus it softens upon heating.

Thus the XLPE can withstand higher temperatures.

Larnacaman,

Yes the price differential has diminished.

The reason for the higher current rating is the different insulation thus allowing a higher running temperature.

XLPE - cross linked poly ethylene is a thermosetting polymner, thus it does not soften upon heating.

PVC - Poly Vynil Chloride is a thermoplastic polymer it can be reheated & reporocessed, thus it softens upon heating.

Thus the XLPE can withstand higher temperatures.

I know the technology behind the two insulation types... What i didn't know it that the cost difference had diminished to that extent. It certainly hasn't anywhere else that i know of, and definitely not here...lol!!!!

I know the technology behind the two insulation types... What i didn't know it that the cost difference had diminished to that extent. It certainly hasn't anywhere else that i know of, and definitely not here...lol!!!!

My local wholesaler keeps both in stock interchangeably.

It is the 0HLS cable that is more expensive these days.

p.s. Bad news guys, I have free wifi in the hotel room, so you're not rid of me!!!

My local wholesaler keeps both in stock interchangeably.

It is the 0HLS cable that is more expensive these days.

p.s. Bad news guys, I have free wifi in the hotel room, so you're not rid of me!!!

Batty,

That's the very first time i've heard anyone say that XLPE cable is easy to strip!!!!

It may be thinner than PVC insulation but it sure isn't easier to strip. All the XLPE insulated cables that i've had experience of, ...feels like the insulation has been glued to the cable cores..... lol!!!

Batty,

That's the very first time i've heard anyone say that XLPE cable is easy to strip!!!!

It may be thinner than PVC insulation but it sure isn't easier to strip. All the XLPE insulated cables that i've had experience of, ...feels like the insulation has been glued to the cable cores..... lol!!!

Latest posts