Running Cables In Chimney Breast

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got to put a tv on chimney breast. Fire below never used and is disconnected for show only.

is it ok to run the socket feed and the rest of the cables inside the chimney breast ?

Thanks

Its a good question Matty, on first impressions what do you think? You have asked the question so there are doubts in your mind.

First of all we have a problem with unsupported cables, vertical runs will still require support normally provided by direct clipping ladders or tray. All impossible to install within a chimney breast.

Then comes the problem of future use! The chimney may very well be opened up and used for a multi fuel stove or even an open fire. So on reflection its not a very good idea. However, the regulations are not statutory, and providing documented evidence is provided for cable runs and the length of vertical run is not excessive, I would think it could be done.

Its not good practice, but what is these days?

:shakehead

does my head in this,

tell them to stop being a chav and DONT put the TV on the chimney,

is there a worse possible actual position to put a TV.?

its not at a good height to watch, and its almost certainly not a good fixing point either,

explain to them that the ideal position is your eyeline on the bottom 1/3rd of the screen, and do they really want to be like the rest of the dole moles with a chav TV on the fireplace...?!?!?!?!?!!

BTW, my wifes mate and her SIL dont like me saying that to them,,,  :slap

No, move the telly.
I agree,

A lot of folk are opening up chimney breasts that

have been out of use for yonks, for the simple

reason that they want a solid fuel stove in there.

Fix the Telly at normal height where the Fireplace opening is . .   and buy them that 'log-Fire' DVD  . .   All problems solved