security lights with switch and p.i.r

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobo

Reaction score
hi

I have been asked to do 3 security lights. 2 at front door with 1 at back door. 3 x 300w lights with p.i.r's and a switch next to the front and back doors. the consumer unit is under the stairs at mid point. was thinking of taking one feed from the board to the front door switch and another feed from the board to the back door switch (1.5mm), both from the same 6a mcb. then run a 3 core up to each light from the switch with the neutral in a crimp or connector. I cant use double pole switches as they will be 2 gang switches with the hall and conservetory lights. I have not done it this way before and just wonderd if it is ok.

Why the 3 core ?. If it's a PIR fitting then surely all it needs is a permanent live and neutral with switch acting as isolator.

Yes from what you are saying its correct, I assume you are looping the Live and neutral and using the 3rd core as an over-ride.

So at your PIR you have a live + neutral incoming, with the usual switch live out, but also the 3rd core of the 3core+earth in the same terminal

Yes m8. she wants it to work on the p.i.r as a security light. and also be able to switch it on from inside the house.

I thought under Parl L we were limited to fitting 150 watts for outside lights.

I thought it had to be less than 500w, as every 500w fitting I buy has a 400w lamp in.

Latest posts