Should We Stay Or Should We Go

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone here drive a (modern) British car? Or own any British appliance's???
Modern and British don't go in the same sentence.

My 1972 Landrover is British, made in Solihull. but it's definitely not modern, and some might say it's an appliance not a car.

I can't think of s single electrical thing in our house made in Britain other than my ancient (probably as old as the Landrover) Pye hi fi amp and tuner.

I forgot about hi-fi....

We seem to be quite good at the high end stuff Hi fi, Mclarren, jet engines etc but cant get the day to day stuff right :(  

I'm not sure about jaguar landrover probably mostly made in india and assembled here???

But You got Nissan & Honda building cars here but thats doesn't make them British?

I confused 

:C

image00017.jpg

The business model from a few years ago was to set up trade links to China to make the volume stuff, but retain the specials / prototyping / low volume manufacturing here, so very hard to tell where anything is made these days.

A few days ago i wanted to buy a Co2 regulator fro a welding set. No cheap crap here, so i got a decent Murex one. Upon examining the box earlier, i find it was made in china..... What they do now is instead of writing "made in china" or whatever, it will say "china coo"

Coo it turns out, means country of origin.

john....

Even though all is not perfect, I believe it would be a mistake to leave the club.  My reasoning is thus..... in '73 when we joined up, we were an industrial nation who were large exporters and a genuine top table powerhouse doing a lot of trade with the commonwealth et al.

The UK of 2013 is a shell, full of B&Qs, mcdonalds and most large manufacturing is foreign owned with the profits going out and not in... We need to be in a gang for better or worse.  

Living in Ireland and watching the politics here with the euro angle, they are well aware here that leaving is financial suicide.  Also the UKs half in/half out stance is held in disdain and curiosity I feel.

Even though all is not perfect, I believe it would be a mistake to leave the club.  My reasoning is thus..... in '73 when we joined up, we were an industrial nation who were large exporters and a genuine top table powerhouse doing a lot of trade with the commonwealth et al.

The UK of 2013 is a shell, full of B&Qs, mcdonalds and most large manufacturing is foreign owned with the profits going out and not in... We need to be in a gang for better or worse.  

Living in Ireland and watching the politics here with the euro angle, they are well aware here that leaving is financial suicide.  Also the UKs half in/half out stance is held in disdain and curiosity I feel.
Doc,

it was only by being in the EU that ireland got into the mess it is in today,

20 years ago ireland was doing OK, prices were a lot cheaper than in the north, cigs about half the price, same with fuel, much cheaper,

then the EU convinced them to take a rebate, basically for every punt Ireland paid in, it would get 4 back to rebuild its infrastructure,

indeed it worked, built all the Ns and a nice shiney new airport, then the crunch came, time for Ireland to accept the Euro, as agreed for their rebate,

what happened next is history,

Ireland went into meltdown, people went bankrupt overnight, Ireland had no money in the pot, it was a CASH led country,

I personally know businessmen in Ireland that went bankrupt overnight, they had no choice, they had no money in the bank, it was under the bed,

but now the punt was worthless they had to cash it in and got hammered by Irelands crazy taxation levels.

there were also a lot of businesses in the north that got hit too as they mostly did business in the south,

a bit of a dodge over import export has always gone on,

buy a new van in the south, export it north [claim the vat back] , then sell it back south as 2nd hand and no vat, it was too much of a paper trail for the authorities to keep up with, this went on both ways with lots of different goods.

Ireland is upto its armpits and cant escape,

it was the maker of its own doom due to its greed in the '90s.

Doc,

it was the maker of its own doom due to its greed in the '90s.
Yep Steptoe, I will agree with that,  but that was and continues to be  the fault of the people and government, not the EU.  If the EU was run properly, and I believe centrally and transparently it would work.  The end game vision is a united states of europe with separate state/federal laws and policies.  Run on the American model. The reason it is a mess is because some states like to play the half in-half out charade of which the UK is the prime player.

Though I understand peoples concerns, the UK needs to be careful for what it wishes as I believe we need them a lot more than they need us. Nigel Farage et al live in a political never never land and would lead all to economic armageddon if they had their way. Hopefully, the electorate will continue to treat the 'UK out' brigade as a political curiosity and nothing more.  

im sorry Doc,

I disagree, the EU and Irelands greed was the problem that led to Irelands current problems,

how can you pay 1punt in and get 4punts back?

someone somewhere is paying for it,

and the golden goose now has no more eggs left,,,,,

Europe is NOT like the USA, and it never can be,

the reason it is in a mess is because of the power hungry people in brussels lining their own pockets,

the UK was a far bigger player long before the EU, as you said yourself,

I personally would rather have UKIP in power before any of the other lot at this present time,

Whilst I don't want UKIP in power I would vote us out of the EU given a referendum.

We have a net loss of money to the EU. The costs and bureaucracy are unreal. We could have had red and black wire without them and that just makes sense!

I'm sure it would not affect our trade, but would let the UK react far more quickly to global threats. The last thing you want to be is in the Euro club with Greece and some of Eastern Europe!

im sorry Doc,

I disagree, the EU and Irelands greed was the problem that led to Irelands current problems,

how can you pay 1punt in and get 4punts back?

someone somewhere is paying for it,

and the golden goose now has no more eggs left,,,,,

Europe is NOT like the USA, and it never can be,

the reason it is in a mess is because of the power hungry people in brussels lining their own pockets,

the UK was a far bigger player long before the EU, as you said yourself,

I personally would rather have UKIP in power before any of the other lot at this present time,
I'm not quite so sure Steps, I would like to understand the UKIP policy portfolio in more detail, whilst their "headline" policies seem good, it seems that they have some that are not quite so palatable?...

I'm not quite so sure Steps, I would like to understand the UKIP policy portfolio in more detail, whilst their "headline" policies seem good, it seems that they have some that are not quite so palatable?...
a lot of their policies are not quite palatable tbh sidewinder

but, i'd vote for the monster raving looney party before i'd ever vote for the backstabbers that are labour!!!!

talk about a Lundy government,,,,,,,,  :shakehead

if the tories would take a good look at what is winning the votes for UKIP and start to pay heed then I think they'd hammer the next election easily.

defo don't want the Tories back in power either, you can only trust them to look after the wealthy. S'funny how they can't afford wages for nurses or other public servants, but can find £40billion to drop bombs on people

Latest posts