George Osbournes Mathematics Lesson.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One used to think the Chancellor of the Exchequer might have a reasonable understanding of basic arithmetic.

But it seems that's not the case.

So the EU sent us a bill for £1.7 billion  Which, if we had paid it on time, we would have then got a 50% rebate paid back to us next year.  That seems quite straightforward.

We Disputed that it was fair. the PM says we are not going to pay it.

So George Osborne has done a deal. We now only need to pay £850 million (exactly half the original 1.7 billion bill) but we don't have to pay it until next year, and we won't get a rebate.

This is heralded as a victory for our negotiating skills.

Now anyone with a basic understanding of arithmetic would realise the net amount (after the rebate) if we had paid the original bill would have cost us £850 million.  Instead we have a "deal" that only costs us £850 million yet it's hailed as only paying 50%

Either the Chancellor is thick, and not fit to be in the job, or he's telling untruths in the hope we are all too thick to notice or even care?

I'm looking forward to the results of the next deal where we will see the same 50% cut in immigration.

This is the sort of thing you would have seem on Yes Minister in days gone by, not something really happening.

But what astounds me more, is there doesn't seem to be much uproar about what's going on here.

this article sums it up really quite well:  http://newsthump.com/2014/11/08/tesco-wondering-if-george-osborne-fancies-having-a-go-at-their-books/

Last edited by a moderator:
he's telling untruths in the hope we are all too thick to notice or even care?

A politician being economical with the truth?

Surely not!

I'm at a loss guys. If I had been presented with a £17,000 tax bill that I had negotiated in half, got to pay it in 2 instalments with no interest - I'd be quite pleased with myself.

My understanding was the rebate wasn't guaranteed. Negotiating it as a discount now is very sensible.

At the end of the day we are (currently) signed up in Europe. If the rules state we must pay X amount then we ought to pay it. Or get out. I actually see this as quite a victory and far better than the country shelling 1.7 billion out by the end of this month.

Dear old Tony Blair gave up 50% of our rebate in about 2003 or 2004 - this was in exchange for a change in the CAP - which has NEVER happened. The UK is also paying in £2 billion pounds into the Euro "recovery" fund this year.

The UK is getting shafted however you look at it.

None of the UK Parties are being honest with the UK electorate about the EU, its costs, benefits, etc etc

I trust none of them and as for the muppets in Brusselles - they are only interested in one thing - and that's their very own gravy train.

Mandleson and Kinnock returned from Brusselles as millionaires - that pretty much sums the situation up!

all that beurocracy = all that money wasted. Moving Euro parliament twice a year from Brussells to Strasbourg wastes £100 million every year. The EU has its good points I'm sure, but the money it costs is rediculous, and anyone working for them is on a good crack. It rally is about time some 'open and transparent' costings were shown.

There would be a cost to having to lose £850mill in your account for the period between getting it back,  but why pay it if we are to get it back anyway puzzles me.

Latest posts