singles in pvc trunking

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netblindpaul

Reaction score
Why does it not seem right to put singles in pvc trunking in a domestic install?

Can't find a reason in the regs.

Client has asked for it and it just seems wrong somehow?

Well anyone?...

Please ?:|

No reason why not as long as it is a complete system with no "gaps", but I know what you mean, maybe because we normally only see sheathed stuff in there probably, the brain don't like it, not the usual set up. ?:|

Why does it not seem right to put singles in pvc trunking in a domestic install?Can't find a reason in the regs.

Well anyone?...

Risk of lid falling off, or someone coming along later and removing lid to install additional cables/wires exposing live wires with no mechanical protection.

Doc H.

Why does it not seem right to put singles in pvc trunking in a domestic install?Can't find a reason in the regs.

Well anyone?...

Are you talking about having the whole installation in mini-trunking mounted on the surface of walls and ceilings.

One I can see for a start is the entry into light fittings.

This is a special "semi permenant" install!

RCD fused spur connected direct into the existing ring instead of an existing flush single s.o., to feed 2 off twin sw s.o. to em key switch to em light.

Thats it.

I have looked and found the dedicated trunking boxes I don't foresee a problem with making it a fully enclosed system.

DOC, Take the point about the lid falling off, however, if someone takes the lid off to install additional wiring within surely that is up to them.

Singles in trunking is an acceptable method, it just seems wrong in a domestic.

You would see the same issue in galv trunking if you took the lid off.

p.s. rubbish at these smiley things, so I can't really decide which onese to use...

They never seem right when I use them!

as said the norm is to put t&e in pvc trunking on domestic

this is the most common way as normally your unable or its not practicle to enclose said singles entirely and domestic installers rarely carry singles

perfectly fine i say

Theres no problems with putting singles in pvc trunking and they're are pleanty of items that allow you to install it properly.

I've used these before

MTTCR2.JPG

When I used to do wooden outbuildings I would usually use mini trunking with singles a lot easier than tw/e although quite often would use a mix as lighting would often be clipped. I really cannot see the problem and cables are insulated in trunking so if lid falls off whats the problem.

Well then you would have a non complience just like leaving exposed unsheathed conductors outside an accessory

No I didn't I left lid on when I left.
Yes sorry not YOU would be non complient but IT would be if left with lid off.

Did an assessment on a lad testing a Portacabin and he had given it an ok on the inspection schedule with trunking Lids left off all over the place.

When i questioned this the answer was "well the Data boys have got to pull their stuff in as yet so we left them off".

Suggested that it might be better to come back AFTER to inspect the lids WERE on before signing the Cert.

Well anyone?...

No problem as long as the installation method is suitable for the environment - and you do not use the cheap crap where the lid falls off when a car passes by in the street! ;)

The question is here is can singles be used in pvc trunking.

and the answer is yes, if installed correctly.

Regardless of what may occur at later stages. Many decent installations may become unsafe if things 'fell off' at a later date.

As above it is fine if done right. only reason its not normally done on doms is because from the trunking cables normally disappear above ceilting or below floor which is not suitable for single insulated's.

Nothing wrong with that, same as installing conduit on a domestic job, you wouldn't pull T/E through it, well I wouldn't anyway.

As said above, as long as it is a full trunking installation.

Latest posts