Small job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got called out to wire up a new shower in a flat that was let out and to be occupied the next day. The son was going to do it but realised it was more than he could handle. This is what i found

Camera24012009107.jpg

I got there at 2.30 pm and the local wholsaler only had this board in stock. Never used these before but not bad. This was the best i could do in such short time scale

Camera24012009108.jpg

The Wylex board on the Left was the Off Peak Heating

I cant belive a man of you calibre would leave a job in such a state slips ;)

Tidy'd up nicely mate.

Those replies must have been with in milli seconds badge..................beat ya

Had to double check at the first photo's then..

thought eh up has the Wylex board moved...

then realised..

nah...

Slip's has repositioned the meter and incoming head adjacent to the fused box.

Then put a new CU on as well!

]:) :D

Nice job m8!

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Guiness Drink

I tried to get the boards as low as possible as originally they were out of reach. The new Contactum board just skims the front door by 15mm. Key meters aren't allowed at that height anymore nor will they be serviced or repaired. The owner has to move them down at their expense.

I tried to get the boards as low as possible as originally they were out of reach. The new Contactum board just skims the front door by 15mm. Key meters aren't allowed at that height anymore nor will they be serviced or repaired. The owner has to move them down at their expense.
Wasn't aware of that, I take it that's a ruling made by the leccy suppliers?

Most rented places I've seen are similar to what you found, unless owned by a sensible landlord. Trouble is the tight ones wouldn't want to pay to move the CU, let alone PIRs, or any type of maintenance. Did one job last year that I had to access from a step ladder and I'm 6'2". The shower isolator was even further up the wall and about 20m from the shower.

Wasn't aware of that, I take it that's a ruling made by the leccy suppliers? Most rented places I've seen are similar to what you found, unless owned by a sensible landlord. Trouble is the tight ones wouldn't want to pay to move the CU, let alone PIRs, or any type of maintenance. Did one job last year that I had to access from a step ladder and I'm 6'2". The shower isolator was even further up the wall and about 20m from the shower.
That was exactly what they wanted here. The property had been let to a DHSS tenant so the council wanted a cert. What with the new shower as well, it was cheaper to do what i did than muck around with all the old stuff.

In London the lecky supply companies insist on metering equipment being fitted between 450mm and 1800mm FFL

A few years ago an old lady fell off a chair trying to reach her key meter and sued Eastern Electricity. I have their (EE) installation cert which i will scan in later to show all