Smoke alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aico 3000 series and save half the cost on the10 year lithium battery version, need to be connected to the mains, but easy if you have looped lighting circuits, these have a lithium battery, but will only stay charged for about four months if not connected to the main power.

Aico 3000 series and save half the cost on the10 year lithium battery version, need to be connected to the mains, but easy if you have looped lighting circuits, these have a lithium battery, but will only stay charged for about four months if not connected to the main power.

And any saving is wiped out (and more) if in a rental and the batteries go - which they do - normally in the middle of the night

And any saving is wiped out (and more) if in a rental and the batteries go - which they do - normally in the middle of the night
Im my experience the 10year lithium battery versions are more likely to have the batteries go west, in a rental hard wired is more likely not to be abused.

Wireless interlinked hardwired smoke and heat alarms any recommendations please.
I'm afraid I have no recommendations for you, but I will say that when I had a fireman come round to discuss such things he told me to be aware that any smoke alarm must not rely on mains power, because the mains could have been damaged in a house fire – which would, I think, rule out the use of a wifi network. I still think you could use some kind of wifi-based alarm, but maybe not as the only alarm.

Im my experience the 10year lithium battery versions are more likely to have the batteries go west, in a rental hard wired is more likely not to be abused.

Never had a lithium unit fail as yet and as for the older ones, I’ve lost count of the number of times people break the bases trying to get at the batteries

Each to their own

I’ve not had such great experiences with DETA which have not even survived their warranty periods and replacements have not been backward compatible with the bases, newer versions very much seem to be built to a price so lately I tend to prefer AICO alarms.

I am actually surprised anyone else bothers trying to compete with Aico, they have left the opposition standing.

As already been said Aico. Lithium batteries for rental properties and replaceable ones for private customers who won't pay that extra bit !

I normally point out they start bleeping in the middle of the night and make them realise that a few pounds now is better :)

I've not fitted the older versions for a while now

The Aico mains powered alarms with lithium batteries are not replaceable, but guaranteed for ten years, seems you guys have not fitted the mains powered Aico alarms and have staid with the easy install, but more expensive options instead.

I'm afraid I have no recommendations for you, but I will say that when I had a fireman come round to discuss such things he told me to be aware that any smoke alarm must not rely on mains power, because the mains could have been damaged in a house fire – which would, I think, rule out the use of a wifi network. I still think you could use some kind of wifi-based alarm, but maybe not as the only alarm.
I think you will find the fireman said "must not rely on mains power alone" that's why most have a battery back up, the Aico's mains powered units will operate without mains power for up to four months off the built in non replaceable lithium battery.

Last edited:
The Aico mains powered alarms with lithium batteries are not replaceable, but guaranteed for ten years, seems you guys have not fitted the mains powered Aico alarms and have staid with the easy install, but more expensive options instead.

Who said they are replaceable?

10 year life, replace entire product