smoke detectors on FP

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you have to have RCD protection for smokes if the cables arent in the walls, (less than 50mm & all that) ?

Why do you have to have RCD protection for smokes if the cables arent in the walls, (less than 50mm & all that) ?
As you say Norv..

normally this is not a requirement... (and as also discussed PVC could be used be used)

But I think in this case of Steptoe's there is a Housing Association or council involved over a rented accommodation..

and it is they who are specifying some additional requirements..

(which of course the are perfectly at liberty to do if they so wish!)

unless of got me head on backward and reading gobble-d-**** again:p:p:p

Obviously Step's can clarify this bit when he's back on?

Personally I dont think anyone really knows the regs fully.

If its the same for emergency lighting, I spoke to the NIC who said they can be wired in T&E as long as they have battery backup.

Course they can! It doesn`t matter if the fire burns the cables; cos each unit is a stand-alone. EM only needs a fire resistant (PYRO:x:x) circuit if it`s supplied from a central secondary source (e.g. lumpin` big battery)

That was the point I was making. Smoke Alarms with battery backup are stand alone units!

Accepted. Until you count the interconnect. Then they become a hive, like the borg. What one knows, all will know.

Oh gawd. I`m off again. Too much Guinness !!

NO. You "can`t" have too much Guinness !!!!!!!!!

What I think I was getting at before I so rudely interrupted myself, is that EM lights don`t communicate their status to one another. Smokies do, if they`re grade D or above!