So, what’s wrong with Pylontech batteries?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJay

Reaction score
We’ve had a couple of quotes now and both companies are recommending GivEnergy kit over Pylontech saying that theres no support once you’ve bought Pylon stuff. Both installers say that they’ve got customers waiting for parts and replacement units for many months often leaving the whole solar installation not working for that time. By contrast, both companies praise GivEnergy saying that they’re very helpful and the backup is superb.
Whats the situation with these companies?

We’ve had a couple of quotes now and both companies are recommending GivEnergy kit over Pylontech saying that theres no support once you’ve bought Pylon stuff. Both installers say that they’ve got customers waiting for parts and replacement units for many months often leaving the whole solar installation not working for that time. By contrast, both companies praise GivEnergy saying that they’re very helpful and the backup is superb.
Whats the situation with these companies?
Garbage, Givenergy is easier to get at the moment.

Is there anyone who’s had had warranty / reliability with either brand?
We‘re looking to get the most reliable for our budget and just need some impartial or owner advice please!
We can’t afford to make a mistake at these prices!

If givenergy battery fails it needs replacing with a givenergy battery, if pylontech fails you can replace it with pretty much any brand the invertor is compatible with.

Givenergy are only compatible with Givenergy inverters too, and I don't like the specs of the Givenergy inverters, I also don't like the fact that they fully charge/discharge the batteries to commission them.

I nearly went for Givenergy, but then lots of things stopped me in the end.

Givenergy are only compatible with Givenergy inverters too, and I don't like the specs of the Givenergy inverters, I also don't like the fact that they fully charge/discharge the batteries to commission them.

I nearly went for Givenergy, but then lots of things stopped me in the end.
Me to, I've gone with victron inverter, seem alot more adaptable and other items can be added at a later date

So, are Victron Invertors and Pylontech batteries totally compatible?
I heard it from another installer today that Pylontech is “entry level” product. I asked him what he meant by that and he said that the product and the management software was not ‘polished’ and lacked features. I didn’t know what he meant as I’m not familiar with any of this stuff but trying to learn as quickly as I can!
I think we’re looking for 18 panels, 3 x Pylontech US3000C batteries, a suitable invertor (undecided brand) as a basic system but everybody we call is trying to get us to go in another direction. We’re very confused.

Last edited:
Batteries don't have features, the inverters have features, a battery just manages its own charge/discharge.

I'd ask this guy if he's just bullshitting you or if he believes what he's telling, if the latter, don't let him install your system.

Victron list all the compatible batteries. Don't know what the installer classes as low, middle or high level batteries. I would be interested in an example of each that he would supply.
I wouldn't class them as entry level.

Loads of videos on YouTube of people opening battery brands boxes and finding them full of Pylontech.

As far as I know they are one of the biggest and oldest battery brands, they have been used in the leisure industry for a very long time. They have built in BMS now, and use LifePo4 tech like everyone else.

If anything, trusting all the new start-up brands, like Givenergy is the dodgy way to go.

They were not long ago lol, and now its the battery no one can get hold of

Thanks guys, availability is severely affecting choice. These things are hard to come by!

On criteria I was told to consider is the ability of the installer to support directly the product you have purchased.
I originally wanted Pylontech but that installer said we have engineers quality to support/repair etc... a few brands such as Growatt but with Pylontech everything has to go back to the manufacturer. He therefore advised to consider this.

On criteria I was told to consider is the ability of the installer to support directly the product you have purchased.
I originally wanted Pylontech but that installer said we have engineers quality to support/repair etc... a few brands such as Growatt but with Pylontech everything has to go back to the manufacturer. He therefore advised to consider this.
that's nonsense for can't get Pylontech and Growatt are cheaper. Pylontech support has been very good when needed - I've fitted a few sets over the years.

You are saying because they can't get pylontech and they have growatt they are pushing growatt?

Somehow, I lean toward this. When I was over the phone to chase up my quote. He probably had forgotten about it... He then said when they asked their supplier it would be February for Pylontech. I then told him that both ITS and Batteryfactory had stock and he actually checked because he read how much stock batteryfactory had. Then he apparently chatted with a colleague to ask him to something about it and his colleague seemed to have said that they recently had 3 return of pylontech battery and they needed to go back. This is when he said that their engineers are qualified to repair Growatt....

Always difficult to know the truth from a lot of marketing blabla. The thing is, they are so busy so do not need my order, why would he want me to tell bs just to get my order when he had forgotten about me.

Anyway.... I think I am thinking over it too much!!!. Growatt, Pylontech, Solax, Sunsynk, they have hundreds of thousands of users worldwide if they were so bad they would have gone bust... no?

You are saying because they can't get pylontech and they have growatt they are pushing growatt?
Yep! Getting anything at the moment is rather difficult, and won;t get better as China heads into more Covid lockdowns. Despite an awful lot of enquiries I've decided to give up on batteries altogether, purely becuase I don't need the hassle of constantly chasing parts.

I just watched this video

and the guy is saying that it is recommended to size the battery 1.5 to 2 times the size of your PV system.
So if you have a 6kWp array you should look at a 9 to 12kWh battery storage.

I have never heard of such an estimation. Does it work?

I would be inclined to look at how much leccy you use a day, and size battery to that within reason. No point in having 20 kw of battery if you average 5kw per day.

Locked to prevent being (resurrected again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.