socket positions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDS

Reaction score
Evening all, I have been asked to rewire some sockets but the client wants the as is, they are at the moment on the skirting ( 7 inch ) and surface mounted the carpet will just slide under the surface box, is this acceptable ??????, the client wants minimum damage.

regards Iain

Nope move them up, undue strain on plug flex's & I'm sure somebody will be kind enough to stick the regulation number up for you (my book is out in the van).

Evening all, I have been asked to rewire some sockets but the client wants the as is,
some sockets - acceptable to match original poor installation. New extensions, complete refurbs of eg kitchen - comply with regs. Would badger to raise to just above skirting level - better and minimal damage.

Thanks binks, I have explained the pros and cons but they are being stubborn, I will try again in the morning.

Regards Iain

Not wishing to be silly but if the socket faces were put on upside down would this alleviate any strain on flexes etc? Now do you have a specific regulation that states yey or neigh?

once again a pearl of wisdom, that will be my main point in the ensuing argument in the morning.

Fanx steptoe.

What's the problem with them?

The 450 & 1200 refer, in particular to New builds. And some New extensions (Dependant on how your LABC is).

There is no requirement for example - on a rewire - to place them between 450 & 1200mm. It depends on the specs of the job. (IE: if you were rewiring council properties, then chances are they would spec them at between 450 and 1200 mm).

But I do agree that the 7" skirt mounted boxes need to be adjusted, too avoid stress on the flex etc. :)

What's the problem with them?The 450 & 1200 refer, in particular to New builds. And some New extensions (Dependant on how your LABC is).

There is no requirement for example - on a rewire - to place them between 450 & 1200mm. It depends on the specs of the job. (IE: if you were rewiring council properties, then chances are they would spec them at between 450 and 1200 mm).

But I do agree that the 7" skirt mounted boxes need to be adjusted, too avoid stress on the flex etc. :)
seriously - what about face plates upside down?

The same has happened with CU's too, hasn't it Steps. I haven't come across a reg against it.

The same has happened with CU's too, hasn't it Steps. I haven't come across a reg against it.
I think you'll find to be strictly correct CU must be mounted the correct way up.

its to do with the identification markings on the MCBs etc, wont be correctly identified if they are upside down.! :eek:

thats how I see it anyways, tho I come across them sideways all the time in LA properties that have been replaced with no room for correct mounting.! :)

its not really a major issue tho, I just make a note of it on the cert, dont actually mark it down as a CODE or such.

553.1.6 ?

Especialy as you say

they are at the moment on the skirting ( 7 inch ) and surface mounted the carpet will just slide under the surface box,