Help with spur socket in newly bought house - can I use it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lt_ox_22

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just moved into a new house and I'm assessing the positions/availability of different sockets in the different rooms. In the living room I found the box you can see in the attached picture and when I opened it I found a wiring that suggests to me that this is an unused spur? Could I just use this for a new double plug socket? I have some experience with adding new sockets, but I'm wondering why the previous owner would have not done this already, hence I'm asking you if I'm missing something obvious here.

Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• box_open.jpeg
    box_open.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • box_living_room.jpeg
    box_living_room.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Hum, my guess it’s blanked off for a reason but if you’ve got a spare socket the n

Turn off entire consumer unit / fuseboard
Fit socket
Turn power back on
Plug in a light or similar to see if it’s live

Thanks Murdoch! Actually I checked with a non-contact voltage checker pen and it does seem to be live - that's why I kept wondering why it was blanked off :unsure:

As above but I would strongly recommend you get it tested to verify all is as it should be.

Thanks @Fleeting, could you clarify what you mean with "get it tested to verify all is as it should be"? What type of testing?

Thanks Murdoch! Actually I checked with a non-contact voltage checker pen and it does seem to be live - that's why I kept wondering why it was blanked off :unsure:
trouble with those detectors is that they can also detect votages induced in cables that may not be an actual mains supply.

Disconnecting sockets is unusual unless there's a fault, generally people just leave them alone. It's also possibly a spur off spur, so may have been disconnected due to the result of an inspection to make the circuit safe. Trouble is, to verify it is safe you need proper test gear, which will cost a lot more than a sparky, so I would give someone a call to assess the circuit.

IF you find it is live when you fit a socket, go through the circuit breakers one at a time turning them off to establish which circuit it is fed from.

Would highly recommend getting this checked by a qualified electrician before fitting a socket outlet.

Last thing you want is you fit a socket outlet and someone getting injured because of it.
99% of the time there is an underlying fault, whether that be a high loop impedance, no neutral or earth, or some other fault.

If could have been faulty? Need to check it has both neutral and earth continuity, not just checking if has a voltage on one wire.

It could have been behind some furniture so previously just blanked off.

It could have been a socket with integral USB chargers and/or wifi extender that the previous owner wanted to take with them so just stuck a blank plate over it as the cheapest option.

It could have been a known dodgy DIY additional that previous owners did, so they blanked it off to pass the buck onto someone else if it is re-instated.

Bottom line is a competent electrician should be able to test and verify if it is electrical safe or not within a typical 1hour call out charge.

You asked this question on DIY NOT and got 10 similar answers. Why ask again on here?

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts