Speaker Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plex81

Reaction score
Hi guys what speaker cable should i use for installing multi room speaker system. I will be chasing them into walls and under floorboards, also best place to buy them.

Cheers Alex

Hi guys what speaker cable should i use for installing multi room speaker system. I will be chasing them into walls and under floorboards, also best place to buy them.Cheers Alex
Plex81, do you have a system in mind or are you just future proofing at this stage?

Some audio die-hards will say use oxygen free copper speaker cable, personally I would just use some 79 strand, Although I have used the QED 16/2 for my cinema setup.

Standard copper speaker cable should stay bright as in most domestic properties in this day and age, solder/tin the ends to reduce the chance of oxidisation of the strands at the connection. It

I was just proofing m8, is there no legeislation with regaurds to type of cable that can be chased in walls and under floorboards? or will any speaker cable do?

For audio systems no, but you still need to follow the same rules when drilling joists etc.

Thanks Ian, is there any systems you would recomend I have a budget of arround

At that sort of money not a lot springs to mind TBH although there are a few ideas for hybrids if you can give me more info.

What would you like it to do?

Do you already have any amps, speakers etc?

Do you have and android 2.1 or 2.2 phone or Iphone/Ipod?

Do you keep your music on a pc?

Do you use PC / Mac?

Do you have a wifi or wired network or both in the house?

I would just use 42 strand copper cable, nothing to fancy for the stuff you'll be installing to be honest. And just bare in mind where the cable runs, not next to transformers or anything like that, just in case you pick up any interference.

Multi room systems I would only ever recommend Sonos. Easy to use, fairly easy set up and some really good features. Check it out Simply Sonos - Multi-Room Wireless Music , little bit more than your proposed budget but you can start basic then add rooms as a when.

Hope this helps.

I would just use 42 strand copper cable, nothing to fancy for the stuff you'll be installing to be honest. And just bare in mind where the cable runs, not next to transformers or anything like that, just in case you pick up any interference. Multi room systems I would only ever recommend Sonos. Easy to use, fairly easy set up and some really good features. Check it out Simply Sonos - Multi-Room Wireless Music , little bit more than your proposed budget but you can start basic then add rooms as a when.

Hope this helps.
I agree as a plug and play music streamer with built in amp. the sonos would win in my book and no one currently can match it, but watch out their crown may get taken soon. People like Onkyo and other AVR makers are starting to add some streaming tech in their amps. Its not there yet but I think sonos may not be the only choice on the market soon.

As you say probably out of budget, even a starter bundle would blow his budget by about

At that sort of money not a lot springs to mind TBH although there are a few ideas for hybrids if you can give me more info.What would you like it to do?

Do you already have any amps, speakers etc?

Do you have and android 2.1 or 2.2 phone or Iphone/Ipod?

Do you keep your music on a pc?

Do you use PC / Mac?

Do you have a wifi or wired network or both in the house?
Hi there m8 thanks for reply I keep my music on A PC also have a android 2.2 phone and Ipod. i am looking to put music into my kitchen bathroom and living room. I was wondering if would be possible to use just a standard amp and send the music through some kind of switch to select different rooms or all rooms, if there is such a thing?. I have just purchessed a new house so im on a really tight budget but i want to install speaker wire now and install a cheep system and infuture when I have A bit more cash i will upgrade. I only have wireless on laptop not my desk top but i belive I can get a WiFi addaptor.

Hi there m8 thanks for reply I keep my music on A PC also have a android 2.2 phone and Ipod. i am looking to put music into my kitchen bathroom and living room. I was wondering if would be possible to use just a standard amp and send the music through some kind of switch to select different rooms or all rooms, if there is such a thing?. I have just purchessed a new house so im on a really tight budget but i want to install speaker wire now and install a cheep system and infuture when I have A bit more cash i will upgrade. I only have wireless on laptop not my desk top but i belive I can get a WiFi addaptor.
Firstly as the others have said Sonos is good but if you can't stretch your budget then so be it, however PM me and I'll give you the contact to buy Sonos at trade which may help

In regard to an AV Amp you could look at Yamaha's RX-V667* notionally this supports a 2nd Zone (using a different source if you want), but you can run 3 pairs of speakers, I have customer using it this way (they didn't want 5.1/7.1 which you sacrifice using this trick)

You can also run multiple speaker pairs of the same channel, but you need to take care when doing this as the AV amp loading needs to be >4ohms or you may blow it

If you are after speaker switches again pm me and I'll give you one of my contacts

Speaker cable I'd plum for 72 strand if on a budget, the QED 16/2 and 16/4 is ideal, it's low smoke, installation needing max 8mm holes, If you're planning to install ceiling speakers 16/4 four core is what I use as I find it more convenient and tidier running one cable, you wire a stereo pair using a drop loop on the 1st (do not cut the loop, you breach it on install keeping one pair intact)

For ceiling speakers you must adhere to Part B & E (possibly excepting if there is no room or void above), you can install an acoustic/fire hood (again I have sources if needed)

*there is a new model RX-V671 out this month with an iPhone app, but I've yet to see the manual in regard to the above trick

In regard to an AV Amp you could look at Yamaha's RX-V667* notionally this supports a 2nd Zone (using a different source if you want), but you can run 3 pairs of speakers, I have customer using it this way (they didn't want 5.1/7.1 which you sacrifice using this trick)*there is a new model RX-V671 out this month with an iPhone app, but I've yet to see the manual in regard to the above trick
Robojin, I take it to run 3 pairs your using zone 2 as one pair and then front L & R + Rear L & R as another pair. If so then 2 rooms will have the same source and volume I'm guessing.

That new Yamaha looks like the same spec as the Onkyo TX-NR609 launched last month. Plex81 if history goes according to plan then the Onkyo price will drop

I am currently using a Sonos system in a house which is all digital and wireless all controllable from a small remote, very expensive though, I,m fitting 3 wireless amps driving Bowers and Wilkins ceiling speakers in the kitchen dining area and bathroom, each amp is

I am currently using a Sonos system in a house which is all digital and wireless all controllable from a small remote, very expensive though, I,m fitting 3 wireless amps driving Bowers and Wilkins ceiling speakers in the kitchen dining area and bathroom, each amp is

Robojin, I take it to run 3 pairs your using zone 2 as one pair and then front L & R + Rear L & R as another pair. If so then 2 rooms will have the same source and volume I'm guessing.
As I recall you wire it as though a 5.1 system and Zone 2, you then config Zone 1 for 7 channel stereo, Zone 2 is set to iPod in for example and you should have music from all speakers

I've found these cables to be excellent quality:

High Quality OFC Loudspeaker Connection Cable : Car Speaker Cables Interconnects : Maplin

It's available in two sizes. I have the larger one for my centre (B&W CC6 from Yamaha processor amp). Very punchy and open sound, clear voices.

I used it for my main pair before changing to Sonic Link for these, but it gave a very acceptable performance (Audiolab amp with B&W602s and Marantz CD63 KI Sig & Rega Planar 3/RB300/Ortofon MC15Super sources).

For my rears I've got this:

ExtraFlexible Flat Speaker Cable : Speaker Cable : Maplin

I've used the QED cables in the past and found them to be of high quality, giving an excellent performance for the money. Don't know how these compare for price with the Maplin ones these days.

As I recall you wire it as though a 5.1 system and Zone 2, you then config Zone 1 for 7 channel stereo, Zone 2 is set to iPod in for example and you should have music from all speakers
Most decent av amp;s will allow assigning of the rear surround amps to other purposes be it for bi-amping the front L&R or for zone 2.

I have a Denon 1906 in my conservatory powering 5.1 and zone 2 in the Dining room for in ceiling speakers but tend to just get that to follow zone 1