Spur for outdoor socket(s)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbar94

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice for adding an outdoor socket, possibly two. Would it be okay to spur from a socket in the kitchen (unswitched fused spur for two sockets)? Or should the sockets be on their own circuit?

The wiring is split into front and back circuits, with the cooker on its own circuit. The “back” circuit is mainly used for kitchen appliances and the combi boiler.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Providing earth loop impedances and volt drop requirements can be met then technically you can extend off the existing kitchen socket...

But personally I would only be considering this as a last resort if there is no other feasible option.

I've been to customers in the past where a fault on external wiring has knocked the power off from circuits in the house..
You don't want to be without any kitchen power due to water, rodent, other damage to external cables or accessories.

I only tend to use the spur off a ring option for the basic weather proof double socket on the other side of the wall.
But even then, I still connect them via a double-pole switch so it can be fully isolated if needed.

If there is anyway to get a supply cable directly back to your consumer unit that would be my preferred option.

Providing earth loop impedances and volt drop requirements can be met then technically you can extend off the existing kitchen socket...

But personally I would only be considering this as a last resort if there is no other feasible option.

I've been to customers in the past where a fault on external wiring has knocked the power off from circuits in the house..
You don't want to be without any kitchen power due to water, rodent, other damage to external cables or accessories.

I only tend to use the spur off a ring option for the basic weather proof double socket on the other side of the wall.
But even then, I still connect them via a double-pole switch so it can be fully isolated if needed.

If there is anyway to get a supply cable directly back to your consumer unit that would be my preferred option.
Thanks for your response. The consumer unit is at the front of the house, though it could be possible to run cable around the side of the house under some gravel without too much disruption.