stables agricultural containment methods critique needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welchyboy

Reaction score
Hey chaps

i have to return a quote for a job installing supplies for 3 buildings on a site, incuding 2x stables and a general storage building, the demand is not too much 50A max, only really general lighting,

small power etc SPN 100A TT, all submains will be via a single 300mA 'S' rcd at origin and all final circuits will have rcbo 30mA protection

theres only really horses on site no other livestock to think of

i will be using a large IP65 metal enclosure in each building to house all of switchgear/C.U's in one i may be able omit the box and site the switchgear in the rest room which will be of general construction plasterboard with plastered/painted walls and a toilet

throughout the site i was intended to install SWA for submains/some final socket circuits and a mix of SWA and heavy duty black pvc conduit for lighting. all fittings will be at least IP44 construction with exception to the rest room and toilet.

there may be one storage area which is likely delivery vehicles will be in and out, there will be a few sockets around this area at around 1200mm affl, would it be best to tube these in galv or just keep to PVC tube/swa??

i am aiming to keep all cable runs and fittings away from areas likely to be routes or housing of horses, the roof of the stables is around 4m high with open topped hourse pens so that wont be an issue, but the owner has requested using high/low bay lighting, is this ok?? as they wont be at least IP44 construction, i wanted to install 6ft enclosed twins along this route but hes digging his heels in abit

also i plan to install rods at each point of supply at each building, any advice on siting the rods with regards to horses?

as a serparate issue i have yet to discuss emg lighting/fire protection with him, i just need to get a price for the main works to him

any input is welcome!

thank you

Sounds like a good plan. Just remember that there are possibly a lot extraneous metal parts in stables,, dependant on the construction.

also where there are horses, there are usually mice! I did some repairs at a stable, mice had got inside the 2 x 2 PVC trunking and gnawed at loads of the insulation off the singles (all lighting circuits) :eek: . As well as fully rewiring the lighting I replaced all the trunking with galv.

In another stable (20' square) I installed a metal hailide flood light in the centre of the roof line, IIRC it was 70W and I didn't have any complaints

I think you need to break all poles in agriculture situation so RCBOs will not do . ( Pretty sure thats correct)

Not heard Emergency lighting being an issue on farms although it would be useful of course.

Basic Fire protection via RCDs unless you're thinking of a Fire Alarm warning installation. ( All farmers have very short arms and very long pockets)

yes allthough not strictly a farm as such i am treating it as agricultural as all the nasty conditions are present, i have provided double pole isolation for each building as normal and the light switches will all be double pole also, but reading 705

i cant see any specific reg requiring double pole isolation for an individual circuit just equiptment that is used seasonally/occasionally

There is a big debate about DP fault protection and if it is required or not in TT installations.

There is no real reason to have DP light switches, although it will fully isolate both of the live conductors if there is a fault in a light fitting (only until you return to carry out repairs;))

Latest posts