Storage heaters in office block

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazooboo

Reaction score
I've been asked to look at a problem in an office block as a favour as all sparks that have looked at can't solve the problem (they may be trying to find cheapest/unqualified). My domain is domestic so not familiar with the set up. Half storage heaters work, half don't. Quick look at switch room and it appears they do not have timers for the heaters, I'm not sure but you may be able to clarify, but would it be the suppliers off peak meter/timer that would switch the power on to the heaters? They appear to have 2 meters maybe half heaters are on one meter that is working and other half on a faulty meter. Any idea if this is plausible? If so is it a call out to the supplier?

Can't think of any reason why half the heaters would all fail at the same time. Any body else got ideas?

We could do with a photo to have a look at the arrangements, the storage heaters will almost certainly be fed from an overnight tarrif meter, usual way of turning large loads on at the same time is via contactors, it could be that half of the heaters are on one contactor and half on the other. Without detailed information and tracing of circuits it would be hard to give an answer.

I would certainly prove and test all customers components before calling out a third party where you may incur a significant charge if it proved to be customers equipment that is faulty.

Doc H.