Storage Heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
Im coming up to a maintenance job which is all electrics on social housing.Im ok with everything but the job does entail storage heaters I mean yes I have done your basic twin to a spur with the storage heater on the wall, but people have mentioned economy 7 installations.Are there any more ways of doing storage heaters?It would be a great help if someone posted drawings(wiring diagrams) of economy 7 storage heaters,plus any other ways of doing storage heaters that I need to be familiar with thanks Ryan

Anyone got any drawings for different types of storage heater installations , economy 7 plus other types of storage heater installations?could you send them me thanks Ryan

Ask some specific questions and we can answer them

It's really quite simple.

On an Economy 7 system you normally have two CU's. One on all the time for notmal circuits, and the second one that is only energised during the off peak period which is switched on by the DNO's timeclock (often these days a combined meter and time clock all in one unit)

So all you have is a radial circuit feeding each storage heater.

What more do you need to know?

Fault finding is checking the radial circuit, it's fuse or MCB, checking the isolating switch feeding the heater, and chevking the internal workings of the heater.

90% of storage heater faults are the over temperature trip inside the heater has gone. Usually caused by the heater being covered (though the owner will never admit to doing that)  Some can be reset, others need to be replaced once they have tripped.

When you say ...."  basic twin to a spur with the storage heater on the wall "........ I don't quite get it .    Was that a permanent feed to a storage heater from the 24 hr supply ?