Supplementary Bonding of Boiler Pipes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjo

Reaction score
Do I need to Supplementary Bond under a boiler anymore? I have wired a lot lately on TT systems, does this make a difference? I have the Main Protective Bonding to the Gas and Water supplies and the RCD operates within maximum disconnection times.

Do I need to Supplementary Bond under a boiler anymore? I have wired a lot lately on TT systems, does this make a difference? I have the Main Protective Bonding to the Gas and Water supplies and the RCD operates within maximum disconnection times.
did you ever need to?

Well one answer is:-

Step 1.

Find the 'old' regulation that said that you had to.. {or was it a mate who's dad ran an electric business said you must? or a plumber?}

Step 2.

See if the old regulation is still in the current regs.. {if the old rule was just some blokes word.. best ring up the old bloke...}

OR... putting it another way...

Which electrical regulation says that you have to put some earth wire & pipe clamps within a few centimeters of a great big chunk of metal that all the metal pipes bolt onto?

And how much lower is the resistance going to be between the said pipes once you put your bonding across compared to with no bonding?????

:C

It MAY have been a manufactures requirement but never been wiring regs, If the boiler was adjacent or in a bathroom then it sometimes was a good place for supplementary bonding when it was required.

I do it Regardless for the time it takes and the few quid in materials

some times the manufactures of the boiler stipulate they requie it,but if its already there you wouldnt no, headbang

did you ever need to?
Yes. However it was never an electrical requirement, but a gas reg.

About 25 years or so ago, the British Standards for gas boiler design and manufacture were updated to include the requirement that the manifold must guarantee electrical continuity. Soon after the gas reg was dropped, but this event seems to have passed many people by un-noticed (especially gas installers!!!).

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:12 ----------

did you ever need to?
PS: it is still a requirement for oil boilers as the BS applies to gas boilers only

As Sparkytim says

if supp bonding in the bathroom is not there nor is it easy to install (ie pipes below floor) then i would cross bond at boiler,,and retest

A lot of local authorities still require this before signing the job off. No reason for it usually and guy who signs of the work will not listen to reason. We wired hundreds of systems under the warm front project and all systems had to be cross bonded. No one listened to reason, no cross bonding, no money, so we fitted over a thousand of the things.