Supplementary Bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elekk

Reaction score
Is supplementary bonding only for showers? Does supplementary bonding only connect the shower to a nearby pipe? Or does it connect the shower to a nearby pipe as well as to the main earth terminal?

As this is a very basic question I have moved it to the student and learning section.

Is supplementary bonding only for showers? Does supplementary bonding only connect the shower to a nearby pipe? Or does it connect the shower to a nearby pipe as well as to the main earth terminal?
Quick answers in the order of the above...

No, No, Erm... a nearby pipe? relevance? is the pipe Plastic?

Slightly longer answer:-

Supplementary bonding will be dependent upon the specific installation characteristics as to what is required or NOT required, where and between what or not as the case may be....

Easiest thing would be for you to go and read a few bits from the OGS & Big red....

Try 415.2 on page 59 and 544.2 page 135 of BS7671

and

Chapter 4 of OGS pg27 thro pg32 specifically 4.5, 4.6 4.7.

Have a read of those bit then come back with any further questions on the parts you don't understand.

Not sure if the ESC's earthing & bonding sheet is any relevance here..

but heres a link to it just in case.?

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/public/leaflets/E_B2011webA4screen.pdf

Page 2 of ESC's earthing and bonding sheet (whose link is provided above) shows supplementary bonding of a shower. Actually the shower should already have a PE conductor (L+N+PE) ; then why does shower need supplementary-bonding?

Also the shower is connected to two pipes. Are these two pipes also connected to the main earthing terminal?

I thought supplimentary bonding was required if disconnection times cannot be met. (Zs above allowed figures, so you supp bond to bring Zs down) but now most boards are RCD protected it can be omitted if the 3 requirements are met in the BRB. I stand to be corrected tho

The distribution-board that I am working on has RCD protected receptacle circuits in bathroom, however lighting circuit in the bathroom is not RCD protected. Can supplementary bonding be still ignored?

should you actually be carrying out this work given your lack of understanding the basics of earthing?

oh,

you do know work in a bathroom is notifiable under the provisions of Part P of the building regs in England and Wales,.?

I know the basics of earthing; and how to size bonding conductors as per 544.1 and 544.2. Just trying to understand one thing: If a metal pipe is supplementary-bonded to the shower, sholuld the same metal pipe be main-bonded to the main-earthing-terminal.

Thanks for help...

You seem to be getting confused about the purpose of supplementary and main bonding. I think you need to re-read the difference between; Main bonding conductors, Earthing conductor, Supplementary bonding conductor and Circuit protective conductors. Then re-read the definitions of Extraneous conductive parts and Exposed conductive parts. They are all quite basic C&G coursework material which I think are covered in a chapter on earthing and bonding in the on site guide.

Doc H.