supplementary bonding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks electrix

Reaction score
Evening All,

I have been asked to change a normal light in the bathroom to LV,IP RATED spotlights.The bathroom fitters have already fitted the bathroom and so i asked if they had done any supplementary bonding and they said no, their sparky told them for the last year that bathrooms do not need it. So i argued the fact that it can only be omitted if all 3 conditions are met. They still wont have it.

Is it my duty to ensure that it is fitted if i was to fit the downlights or do i note it on the MW Certificate?

If the spotlights are fire rated do i need fire hoods?

THANKS

Evening All,I have been asked to change a normal light in the bathroom to LV,IP RATED spotlights.The bathroom fitters have already fitted the bathroom and so i asked if they had done any supplementary bonding and they said no, their sparky told them for the last year that bathrooms do not need it. So i argued the fact that it can only be omitted if all 3 conditions are met. They still wont have it.
Is there 30mA RCD protection on all circuits and are all incoming services (ie, Gas, water, oil) bonded to the MET with correctly sized (usually 10mm) MEBC's ?. If yes then I would say no supplementary bonding needed as the method of fault protection is ADS and not EEBADS.

i have been looking into this for a job im doing.

Apparently if all the three conditions in the 17th are met then its ok AFAIK.

I was wondering if some people add supplementary bonding anyway to give it the old "belt and braces" treatment.

http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/safety-in-the-home/Earthing-bonding-ESC.pdf

Page 2, under Supplementary Bonding, last sentence.

As there is no Supp Bonding, it would be best for you to install RCD protection (RCBOs?) to all circuits of the location and check Main Bonding is up to scratch.

If the customer baulks show them the leaflet. If they say anything along the lines of "the bathroom fitters said..." give them the NICs, ELECSAs and NAPITs helpline numbers and suggest they call them. Tell them to call you back once they're satisfied you're not bulling them up.

If the customer baulks show them the leaflet. If they say anything along the lines of "the bathroom fitters said..." give them the NICs, ELECSAs and NAPITs helpline numbers and suggest they call them. Tell them to call you back once they're satisfied you're not bulling them up.
if they said that to me, i would then start giving them advice on their bathroom...

OK let me try to explain the question better,

If all of the conditions are not met for supp bonding to be omitted and i do the alteration to the bathroom lights is it down to me to install the supp bonding or do i not do it and note it on the MW certificate that there is no supp bonding in bathroom.

I HOPE YOUS UNDERSTAND.

if acsess to pipes is fairly easy, whn not fot it anyway? for the sake of 10 mins.also, has anyone used the new legrand earth clamps?
Access not easy and metal bath which makes it a nightmare. Never seen the legrand clamps are they any different?

I will give it a try.

I got to get some of them clamps i will try and google them see what they look like.

Latest posts