supply to an outside workshop feeding a welder, compressor, lights, sockets etc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is It Meant To Burn

Reaction score
Hello To All,

I hope to ad a supply to an outside workshop feeding a welder, compressor, lights, sockets etc. The main farm building is fed with an overhead supply. The workshop is around 30 metres from the main building but joined via outhouses.

With rcd's - rcbo's - rccb's I am unsure which to chose to give maximum safety, advice on cable size would be appreciated due to distance.

The main supply is overhead 230v with 100A main fuse.

Earth is via earth rods and earth plate buried next to House.

The workshop is split into seperate work areas, so cover for the following spec :-

50X100 watt fluorescant tubes

Mig welder 26A

Compressor 10A

Lift 10A

Tyre changer 5A

With sockets feeding various basic power tools, kettle, PC etc.

I had envisaged a feed to a main board then each area with a dedicated CU.

The exit supply from the House will have to be overhead to the first outhouse which is 10 Metres away, at that point cable can be brought fed throught adjoining outhouses.

Rental of work areas is a possibility.

Any answers are deeply appreciated.

Hello,

To be honest it is hard to give an accurate answer, I would say minimal use of all appliances due to circimstances. I assume you are asking for current uasge etc. Sorry to be vague.

Elderly owner with a better social life than me.

personally i would use a 63amp RCBO however this all depends on what cable size you are using to get to the workshop. for a 63 amp supply you would need to use 10mm cable. really you should use SWA cable as its more hardwearing.