Surge protection, SPDs and LiVE products

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to the OP though, I asked four questions and so far had useful discussion but no answers. A reminder:

Q1 - what SPDs are you fitting?

Q2 - Why would a board need more than one SPD?

Q3 - Why are 'LiVE' products so much cheaper?

Q4 - What are the main differences between the manufacturers devices?

Thanks in advance :)

As a side thought, out to everyone using the forum who may read this. Electronic controlled and computer type equipment has been common place with the domestic "single dwelling" environment for many years now, so over the past 10 years, how many times have you been involved with remedial work, or have knowledge of someone doing remedial work, to rectify damage to any item(s) of electronic/computer based equipment in any domestic dwelling caused by power surges due to suppliers faults or atmospheric (lightening) high voltage discharges close to a property, That could have been prevented by an SPD?

Doc H.   

it's very very unlikely that a dwelling will have no electronics at all is it? One washing machine or tv costs more than an SPD.

SPDs in the 17th were done by risk assessment but now, if you don't do a risk assessment, you have to fit them.
Most dwellings are empty when I wire them,

So nothing relevant 

Having just read this months PE magazine, I'm beginning to think the tide is turning! There are a couple of interesting letters from sparkies one regarding SPD's and the constant mucking about with the regs, for what appears to be the sole intention of selling more books/ courses etc, and another one on part P and how people are claiming to be part P qualified as though it in some way infers that they are qualified electricians. I am beginning to think that a lot of sparks are starting to wake up to the fact that as we on here know, a lot of what is going on in our industry today has more to do with making money than safety.

Trouble is... there is no central union anymore. There are fractured groups fighting various enemys but no one wants to work together.

Without a central group, the likes of the IET / NIC / JIB can do whatever they like as they have been doing for the last 10 years.

Like Murdoch If I found another job that payed as well and was less hassle I'd be out like a shot.

The way I read 443.4, no SPD or risk assessment is necessary for single dwelling units where the total value of installation and equipment therein does not justify SPD.
"Well madam, I consider the contents of your house/flat/castle to be worthless. So I will not be fitting/offering you SPD"

As a side thought, out to everyone using the forum who may read this. Electronic controlled and computer type equipment has been common place with the domestic "single dwelling" environment for many years now, so over the past 10 years, how many times have you been involved with remedial work, or have knowledge of someone doing remedial work, to rectify damage to any item(s) of electronic/computer based equipment in any domestic dwelling caused by power surges due to suppliers faults or atmospheric (lightening) high voltage discharges close to a property, That could have been prevented by an SPD?

Doc H.   
The only house I can think of where there was a problem with lots of computers, tv,s and the alarm system going up in smoke, was during a winter storm and the lines were down, the DNO connected a generator, but messed up which was the star point and put 400V on one of the phases.  I don't think a SPD would have done much for that, other than let it's smoke out in sympathy.

AFDD’s are not a goid idea imho.

Surge protection I am more keen on.

@Tony S, think about the MOV’s you used to have on the AC contactor coils which were connected straight from a PLC output card.

If they failed then the cards didn’t last much longer did they?

They are surge protection for the output card effectively, because of the back emf generated by the collapsing fields of the coil.

@Sidewinder protection of industrial electronics is a different beast to most domestic situations. A house with an OH supply SPD’s are a good idea.

I made and fitted my own version to my first house using both MOV’s and GDT’s. The OH phone line was the worse culprit for transient faults so I fitted GDT’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
back to the OP, I asked my local Wilts Branch manager today how many he has sold ............... and to my surprise he knew the answer 2 ............ and to whom

His thoughts are that most people are ignoring it and hoping it will go away

I also asked him how many people did he know who had done their 18th ........... and to my surprise he said 2 !

Obviously this isn't a scientific poll but an interesting one all the same

They do have Newey metal clips on the counter ........... £19.20 for a pack of 100 ............. again not selling many as most people either are buying products elsewhere or are "ignoring" the regs .............

Bring back buckle clips and 1" lath nails, black thumbnails and swearing I say ( yes, I do know Sarel have been making them for years )
Aww, come on, get real, you'll be wanting common sense to be used too, I suppose, lol

back to the OP, I asked my local Wilts Branch manager today how many he has sold ............... and to my surprise he knew the answer 2 ............ and to whom

His thoughts are that most people are ignoring it and hoping it will go away

I also asked him how many people did he know who had done their 18th ........... and to my surprise he said 2 !

Obviously this isn't a scientific poll but an interesting one all the same

They do have Newey metal clips on the counter ........... £19.20 for a pack of 100 ............. again not selling many as most people either are buying products elsewhere or are "ignoring" the regs .............

Thanks for that nod to the OP. In 37 replies on this thread, yours gets closest to almost answering any of my four questions!

Do you know what makes/models of SPD sold? Their website seems to only list BG and Schneider....