T & I - PIR

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninlondon1

Reaction score
In last year of Level 3, my friend wanted a PIR on his 2 bed flat, so spoke to college lecturer and arranged for him to do T&I and do EIC for Friday after college 5pm, with me watching and learning. 12.30 am comes and still there as he can't understand why ring circuit won't work. Back again this morning after some embarrassment from lecturer he realised he had reconnected RCD neutrals to non RCD part of neutral bar. So good to see that even the experts make mistakes. Good learning experience though and did not realise that the neutral bar was split like that for split RCD consumer units.

There's nothing better than finding out the hard way - especially if it's someone else that looks foolish and not you:^O

I was very surprised with his patience during the whole thing and hoping that it wasn't something I had done, as I have done a lot of work in my friends flat and thought I may have disturbed something which had caused it. He was very good when it came to payment and accepted the many hours he had spent tracing the ring main fault was his and he didn't want paying for it. All happy at the end of the day, friend has a satisfactory new EIC, lecturer a few quid in his back pocket and I learned a little more on the long route to being an electrician, everyone's a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
...So good to see that even the experts make mistakes. Good learning experience though and did not realise that the neutral bar was split like that for split RCD consumer units.
Within the electrical industry there are no experts. No two installations are identical, regulations, manufactures equipment and customers requirements are always changing. So there is always something more to learn. There are indeed knowledgeable people, but experts? no!