Teesside Job Cuts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
free market capitalism, anyone can buy or sell anything anywhere is the short version.

Now if that was a bank and not a steel works do you think they would have got a bail out?

There used to be a concept called national security where by certain key industried were maintained to keep us self sufficient, long gone now of course.

Hmmm..................I've seen Chinese gear teeth of late failing where the heat treatment was suspect. A while back Indian aluminium that LAMINATED and "far eastern" GrA4 316 stainless steel fixings going rusty!

Speaking to my (for 30 years) fixings supplier and he openly said they supply "crap" as everyone wants the cheapest.

free market capitalism, anyone can buy or sell anything anywhere is the short version.

Now if that was a bank and not a steel works do you think they would have got a bail out?

There used to be a concept called national security where by certain key industried were maintained to keep us self sufficient, long gone now of course.
At least Huawei don't supply the kit that GCHQ use...........Oh wait, they do!

"In a modern office block on the edge of Banbury protected by the sort of high security provided for sensitive government facilities, a team of computer experts each day painstakingly pulls apart circuit boards and computer code from equipment made by Chinese company Huawei.

The purpose of this building - known as “The Cell” - is to establish whether the products emerging from Huawei’s global supply chain contain flaws which might endanger Britain’s national security by allowing them to be used to spy on or disable the nation’s phone or data networks.

What is even more unusual about The Cell is that it is staffed and funded by Huawei employees
What is even more unusual about The Cell is that it is staffed and funded by Huawei employees.........................."

:lol:  

They won't bail them out ............ to the powers that be its only 1700  Teeside jobs . Miles from London.      About as important as the 6000 Brummie jobs that dissapeared with the closure of the Longbridge Car Plant .

I'm passing it each day while on this job ........ it was The Austin Motor Works ..then  Austin/ Morris ..then  BMC .... then BL ... then The Rover ..but it was a massive plant  , like a small town ........................    I tried to take a piccy this morning but the traffic didn't stop .

Just a huge flat , empty field on one side ..the other advertises forthcoming supermarkets  ...........how can we all work in supermarkets?

You'll be surprised Deke, some of the supermarkets are like mini towns of their own!

Ohh sorry you meant how could we. Oops! Quite right sir how could we..........all those scruffy chavs and their friends everyday..... Not for me I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Sharpie but I see another service industry ....... this city & many like it used to be a bustling hive of manufacturing , making anything from a pin , every component to build a car from cranks, cam safts, drive shafts, half shalts CV joints , tyres , engine blocks , buses , trucks , trains , motor bikes, cycles , machinery ,  power presses ,  coins , giant transformers & generators ,  huge employers like  GEC , Cincinatti , Rover, Bill Switchgear , MEM . Dunlop , Brook Motors , GKN,  mining    & thousands more .........all gone now .thousands of immigrants allowed in and nowhere to work ..... I don't get it  TBH !!!

The city boys call it globalisation those of us with our heads above our a***, see it for what it is. We as a country are no longer independant nor self sufficient, all our essential survival industries are owned by a foreign company or investment arm. Which is fine right up to the point whereby the world becomes like a dysfunctional family then we are hung out to dry! Still whilst the city boys are earning the money then what else matters?!

The worrying bit is all of the other associated industries and businesses that support the plant, be it a small sandwich shop to a national haulage firm, the knock on effects will be hugh. From the press article they claim it could be 8000 jobs, thats just over 3 extra jobs lost for each one lost at the plant. But the economy is getting better we keep on being told.

"The domino effect on all the industries that support it will be quite horrendous for the area.

"We could be talking about up to 8,000 more jobs outside of Corus - it's that bad."

Doc H.

The worrying bit is all of the other associated industries and businesses that support the plant, be it a small sandwich shop to a national haulage firm, the knock on effects will be hugh. From the press article they claim it could be 8000 jobs, thats just over 3 extra jobs lost for each one lost at the plant. But the economy is getting better we keep on being told.

Doc H.

thats the thing,

on a very minor scale,

a while back when I was on the rock a load of the guys used to do a 10 minute walk to the butty shop each day,

one of the foremen caught onto this and decided all these guys off site was losing work time, even though nearly everyone was on price,

he suggested the butty shop set up a service desk on site, guys ordered their stuff, and it was then delivered to the brew hut at whatever part of the site they were working at, at whatever time they had asked for.

everyones a winner.

and another 2 girls had some part time work, 1 taking orders, and 1 delivering the stuff from the shop to site.

probably some clause in the contract of 'we own everything now and you cant take it back without paying us 3x what its worth and lost profits for the next 20 years'

That is what the army are for.... Just take it, or bulldoze it..

All the stuff they sold did not belong to them, it belonged to the people of britain. Say you mugged someone and sold the proceeds, do you think the courts would say that the purchaser had good title to them...

Just take it..

john...

can't afford to buy it back now.

This is my biggest complaint of the last few decades, we have been led down the path of the service industry where a few very well paid workers have all the cash, the rest of us are left to service their needs. NONE of the parties seem to have worked out we need more wealth generation in the UK, not just miilion of low paid unskilled workers. If we had more wealth generation, then balancing the books would be far easier. Now it has to be said that the world and industry changes. We seem to very good at the arts industry, ie films etc, yet the government has slashed support for that sector. We are very good at computer games, so where's the encouragement for that sector? Our basic infrastructure is collapsing slowly due to under investment, which chokes industry even further. Stuff HS2 (financed by the Chinese) IMHO the money would be far better spent on re-building and mondernising what we have, with decent high speed broad band for the entire UK, then we might get some different industries back, or at least keep whats left open. S'funny how we can afford to build cross-rail for London though. The South East, rest of UK divide is amazing and does strike me as 'you don't vote for us' so sod your area....

Even Hitler had this sussed, he bulit the autobahn network (partly for military reasons of course) giving lots of people work, rebuilding their pride and the country. Instead we have 'can't afford it, slash the budgets' mentality. I'm not for borrowng money to support the lazy and idle, but there is merit in borrowing money to invest in the UK, IF propoer goals are set.