Terms, abbreviations,slang,descriptions used within the trade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this use of correct terminology is well and good and of course must be used in exams and whenever you are talking to another electrician, BUT talking to customers is something different. You must use language they understand, or you are not really comunicating at all, just confusing them.

I was once told off by my boss for using the term "light bulb" to a customer who had just used the word "lamp" to describe a desk lamp. I think my boss was completely wrong and I was (as alwaysO)) right.

I was talking to another electrician in front of a customer and the same boss corrected me when I talked about a junction box - the boss said I should call it a JB.

Sometimes the most important thing about language is that the person you are talking to understands you.

More important ,Ali, the boss doesn't need to be "correcting " you in front of customers TBH , very poor communication skills .

And we all know that a JB is a Junction box, whats he doing , scoring points , being pedantic or showing that he,s the boss.?

Last edited by a moderator:
New terms/definitions....I've got no chance.

At 55 its...green sleeving, pyro, Line neutral and earth, plug top, bulb/lamp whatever, HRC fuse, fuse or breaker, NORWEB or Electric Board, Meter man, if it's live it is 'wick', earth wire is earth wire [cpc or ecc]. If I have to use the correct terms in 'polite company' I will but, believe me viewers, after 35+ years doing the job it is something that needs thinking about before I open my mouth! It certainly don't come natural!!!............... :coat ...............prepares to dodge burning arrows and flame throwers! Mind you they are now probably called 'hand launched naturally propelled pyro technical delivery systems' or 'volatile liquid ignition and dsipersal systems'

A Pi$$er is an electric shock .
That did make me laugh! But if we are trying to use correct terminology, is not a Pi$$er now a Pi55er in amendment 1. Or should they both be moderated? I shall let Admin decide as it is Friday. Both of course must not to be confused with a piece of Pi$5 being an easy job. Or a Pi$5 taker a customer wanting you to work for peanuts.

Doc H.

Another Avatar Slipshod? You may qualify as our member with the most Avatars?

Doc H.

Well good old Maggie's one didnt get the abuse i thought it may, so here's someone a bit different that only the more mature viewers will know
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png