The Reason I Started The BONDING Thread Yesterday

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I would tell you all why I started the Bonding Thread Yesterday.

A few months ago I got a lead from an electric combiination boiler company. They asked me to get in touch with a customer in regards to swapping his old oil boiler for an electric one.

After loads of emails in regards to how much the installation would cost, could I fit the boiler if he got it as he could get it cheaper etc, the customer finally gave me the go ahead.

My gut feeling was to tell him to go somewhere else but work is work so I took it on.

I sorted the installation out in a day as he was living in the house with his wife and young kids and had no hot water or heating.

I was short an RCD switch so i put a double pole switch in just to get the system up and running.

All went well and there was loads of hot water but there was a problem with the heating which i could not work out.

I called another plumber in and he thought it was a massive air lock and suggested re-routing some of the pipework.

The customer called other plumbers and electricians in to have a look at the system too and this is where the question about the bonding comes from.

As i said in my previous thread all the pipes are plastic except where plastic joins to copper at the boiler.

The customer says that 4 independant plumbers/electricians said to him that the pipes connected to the boiler needed bonding.

I know that this is wrong but I started to doubt myself and just needed reassurance that I was not going mad.

Anyway he got someone else to sort out the heating, It was the most stupid cock up on my side......the valves either side of the pump where turned down too low and thats why the heating wasn't working properly.

The problem is now, he is trying to do me for lkeaving him without heating, not putting an RCD, not bonding, charging him too much for the boiler and

Theres a lot of 'em about Shield, ignore the bar steward .

The cross bonding at boilers that Gorgi used to make their fitters do is no longer necessary as long as the pipes are connected to a common steel plate .

If all pipes are plastic you can't bond them .

OK there was a slight hiccup setting up the boiler ( Valves not fully open) Its not a perfect world , so as long as you have left the system up and running theres no case to answer. And RCD fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off he agreed to your price,

Secondly, did he give you full opportunity to sort out the problems

Thirdly, if bonding is not required by BS7671 then why do it.

The only thing he can get you on is possibly the RCD, is it required in the manufacturers instructions or BS7671 due to the cable routing or installation type?

Personally I'd send him a carefully worded letter back by recorded delivery stating that

a) he agreed to the price

B) he got in the other contractors without firstly giving you full opportunity to rectify the heating issue

c) he authorised un-necessary bonding

d) he authorised the installation of an un-necessary (?) RCD before you were given the opportunity to return and fit one

e) that you are willing to pay for the water, but that

as above, did you get time to rectify the fault (+ installed RCD)

tell him to work to 7671 which does not require bonding. if he wanted it, then he should have asked and you would have charged extra for it. and ask what regulation number says it must be installed

i think the only thing he could possibly charge you for would be the cost of the plumber who found the fault and opened the valves (but was it that? or is that what he was saying?)

shields,

Are you with a scam?

If so suggest that he refers this to the scam for arbitration.

However, the suggestions above are also very valid and I would go with these as well.

It sounds like the Spark may have ripped him off

......After loads of emails in regards to how much the installation would cost, could I fit the boiler if he got it as he could get it cheaper etc, the customer finally gave me the go ahead.
So The customer was going to supply the boiler?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:05 ----------

And he reckons that I charged him

At first he said he wanted to buy the boiler as he could get it cheaper then he told me to go ahead and get the boiler

Ah Shieldy , I glean from your later post that as he hasn't seen your invoice yet , he has yet to pay you ?

If this is the case then this is what this is all about , as in :- not paying you , so prepare for problems regarding non payment.

This part is really getting on my mammeries now !!

Ah Shieldy , I glean from your later post that as he hasn't seen your invoice yet , he has yet to pay you ? If this is the case then this is what this is all about , as in :- not paying you , so prepare for problems regarding non payment.

This part is really getting on my mammeries now !!
He has paid me in full for the job.
Above mate.

Ah thanks Admin , I misread post 7 thought he meant the invoice for the job .

Oh well if he's paid you , then male dangly bits to him , move onward and upward, cast him from your mind and walk through fields of gold with the sun on your face ever smiling and singing until they come to take you away .

A sad reflection on our increasingly letigious (what big word for a Thursday!) society. He's probably been watching those dodgy 'legal' claims adverts on Freeview. Do what you thinks right - your offers seem more than generous. He obviously won't be a repeat customer, but from what you said, probably never would have been. Most importantly, keep it professional (as you already have been) - the less ammunition he has, the weaker his case will be should he try to persue it. As others have already said, put it down to experience and walk away. I doubt anything will come back to haunt you, but thats easy for me to say ...

Good luck and don't loose any sleep over it.

I,m about to write my response to the letter this bloke sent me, could anyone quote me

4.5 Page 41 Green On Site Guide.... {main bonding}

4.7 Page 42 Green On Site Guide.... {Sup bonding}

4.8 Page 43 Green On Site Guide.... {plastic pipe installations}

Thanks

What a load of cobblers, sorry I can not say what I want because of the swear filter.

I have had a site meeting with these so called electrical experts, who apparantly would diss all works completed by previous electricians, the fact is this, you was contracted to do a job, and an agreed price was accepted, to the best of your ability the works were carried out. If any problems arise, the client does not have the right to contact another contractor to rectify this and charge you for the work, he must give you the oppertunity to put things right. Otherwise there will be loads of dishonest tradesmen waiting to do work that is not needed.

My advise is to contact a solicitor, and get proper legal advise. You will find that you are not responsible for any charges made to rectify a problem, if you have not been contacted before any remedial works have been carried out.

Latest posts