Thermal Cut Out A Requirement?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks

if thermostst is broken then water tank will keep heating up  so if thermostat is broken cut out switch wont work or am i wrong??? :C

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks i understand now. just wondering how long these have been around for. thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
so it would be an observation on a EICR if no cut out switch with advisory to have one instaled?

Definitely
NO,

unless you dont word your test sheets correctly,

I dont see why we have to ensure the clients equipment is adequate,

do you also check the cooker has an overload/overtempo stat fitted.?

test to the point of local isolation only.

The requirement for a second safety cut out came in c 2004 If I recall correctly

NO,

unless you dont word your test sheets correctly,

I dont see why we have to ensure the clients equipment is adequate,

do you also check the cooker has an overload/overtempo stat fitted.?

test to the point of local isolation only.
I agree

its in the inspection guidelines on NICEIC website. Was introduced after baby got boiled in its cot - overheating immersion melted plastic header tank that was over cot. Baby died. Law was introduced subsequntly. Not sure it applies to non-rental properties, but I don't remember there being a distinction between plastic and metal headers

but I don't remember there being a distinction between plastic and metal headers
The place to look might be the Water Regulations.  Some plastics are only

good up to 60Cel but some are good to 100 Cel.

Horses for courses.

Personally I would not be happy sleeping underneath any type of water tank. Perhaps it's building regulations that need changing?

Every house I have ever lived in has had it's water tanks above a bathroom or airing cupboard.  But I do see a surprising amount of houses with cold and hot tanks above a bedroom. That just seems daft to me when there are less critical placed they could be located.  Or better still don't have them in the first place.