Things You Do Not See Anymore, Or Very Seldomly

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tramps,   that wore suits with rope for a belt.

Proper old school tramps and wino's used to dress smart, have a proper tramp beard (which is now trendy)  and have a little dog.

Pub by lunch time on a friday. As a kid i remember my dad and all his mates were down the pub getting smashed by 2 on a Friday, and all would drive home of course.

regards the white dog poo, i believe that was due to the bone content of the dog food back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radio Luxemberg's  "Teen & Twenty Disc Club"  presented by  J Saville    " Good evening guys 'n gals"    :(

( For a short period the only way to hear pop/rock music was Radio Luxemberg...... the local coffee bar  or a record shop. )

The Eagle comic ..main character Dan Dare  , Pilot of the Future

yes, post 22...
Aha, i stand corrected. I missed that one

Just....not fully up to speed on canine faeces

Radio Luxemberg's  "Teen & Twenty Disc Club"  presented by  J Saville    " Good evening guys 'n gals"    :(
I think you may have spelled disc wrongly, when in fact you meant "an abbreviation of Richard"

Dark chocolate Mars Bars

going next door to watch the telly (yes I'm that old)

Courting

Bus rides with your Mum

Decent westerns

Crackerjack

penny chews

Woodbines

joy sticks (that will get some of you thinking

Proper Tizer

Jamboree Bags,cost 3d, treat of the week.

Beef dripping on bread for Sunday tea.

Having a bath on a Sunday in the kitchen sink, as the parents could not afford to fill a bath.

Potato picking 6d an hour.

Dark chocolate Mars Bars

going next door to watch the telly (yes I'm that old)        (Yes  only we had go halfway down the street to watch The Lone Ranger  or Hopalong Cassidy)

Courting                                     ( Yes thats what it was called)

Bus rides with your Mum     ( Ah yes  a trip around B,ham's No.11 Outer Circle )

Decent westerns

Crackerjack............................( With Shamus Android  was it ? )

penny chews

Woodbines.............................. ( buy one with a match)

joy sticks (that will get some of you thinking   ( Not sure about those )

Proper Tizer                              ( From the Pop man in his van)

Never mind what type of telly or who's house it was in, remember when you turned them on and waited for them to warm up before the picture slowly appeared, a bit dim to start with.

And when you turned them off, a white dot would stay in the middle of the screen for a minute or two.

15A round pin to 13A square pin adaptors.

Stuff plugged into a light fitting as there was only 1 socket per room, if you were lucky.

Rod brakes on bikes.

Solid tyres on bikes.

Beef dripping on bread for Sunday tea.

Having a bath on a Sunday in the kitchen sink, as the parents could not afford to fill a bath.

Beef dripping on bread for Sunday tea.         ( With the savoury jelly  of course ... but on toast  ) 

Having a bath on a Sunday in the kitchen sink, as the parents could not afford to fill a bath.   ( Our bath hung on a hook outside , on the kitchen floor Friday night , in front of the coal fire .   Neighbours would come in while you were in the bath .... embarrassing by the time you were 10  & elder brother brought his girfriend in . )

Never mind what type of telly or who's house it was in, remember when you turned them on and waited for them to warm up before the picture slowly appeared, a bit dim to start with.  ( Yes  one channel only , test card till about 2.00pm ,  horse racing , Children's Hour 5.00 - 6.00 ,  boring grown ups stuff ,   a 5 min Bible reading then   shut down about 10.30)

And when you turned them off, a white dot would stay in the middle of the screen for a minute or two.  ( Yep  picture imploded down to the white dot ,  then a disembdied voice said  " You won't forget to switch off your sets , will you ?)

15A round pin to 13A square pin adaptors.

Stuff plugged into a light fitting as there was only 1 socket per room, if you were lucky.

Rod brakes on bikes.   (They were NOT good)

Solid tyres on bikes.

Telly programs such as

Watch with Mother

Andy Pandy

Wooden Tops

Bill and Ben

Pinky and Perky

Stingray

Fireball XL5

Fruit salads and black jacks sweets and metal mickey :)

What was that scarecrow on tv called ? Used to put on his thinking head lol

This thread  has reminded me of a SciFi series ( possibly the first on TV)  .  It's coming was advertised , and because of the subliminal fear that can be instilled in people , its first episode was watched with great trepidation . I was only young at the time but remember everyone talking about it , and was not allowed to watch it in the end.

The theme music was very sinister and helped to spread unease, ( possibly Mars the Bringer of War from the Planets Suite)  not sure. 

Series was called Quatermass  or The Quatermass Experiment , scared the bejeebers out of the population .   Look at it now , (some bits on Youtube) its pants ,  typical B&W  early TV , corny  compared with todays TV . 

Bit like the suggested terror of watching the shower scene in Hitchcock's Psycho , word spread , human nature , until you sat down in the cinema wondering what the hell was in store for you .  :eek: