To Notify or Not to Notify, that is the question...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avinalarf

Reaction score
Hello all

Just went to look at a job. Client wants an additional socket spurred from an existing.

I would spur from a socket outlet within the kitchen (notifiable area) to go through the wall into the dining area (not normally notifiable) as this is the easiest route and the small kitchen is on it

Hello all

Just went to look at a job. Client wants an additional socket spurred from an existing.

I would spur from a socket outlet within the kitchen (notifiable area) to go through the wall into the dining area (not normally notifiable) as this is the easiest route and the small kitchen is on it

+1

Extension of a circuit that is within a kitchen is notifiable.

As the socket-outlet is not going in the kitchen, there is no need to notify.

Not all work in kitchens requires notification. Replacement of cables and accessories is not notifiable for example.

As the socket-outlet is not going in the kitchen, there is no need to notify.

Not all work in kitchens requires notification. Replacement of cables and accessories is not notifiable for example.

+1Extension of a circuit that is within a kitchen is notifiable.
So if I have a ring main serving the whole house I can't spur off in the sitting room as the circuit is also serving a kitchen?

Wet Fish

If you go through the back of the existing socket then there shouldn't be anything to notify. If there is any change in a kitchen then do so.

No?

+1Extension of a circuit that is within a kitchen is notifiable.
So if I have a ring main serving the whole house I can't spur off in the sitting room as the circuit is also serving a kitchen?

Wet Fish

If you go through the back of the existing socket then there shouldn't be anything to notify. If there is any change in a kitchen then do so.

No?

As the socket-outlet is not going in the kitchen, there is no need to notify.Not all work in kitchens requires notification. Replacement of cables and accessories is not notifiable for example.
Absolute rubbish. Without carrying out work in the kitchen the new socket would not work - how can it NOT be notifiable!

The alteration to the circuit ORIGINATES in the kitchen.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

So if I have a ring main serving the whole house I can't spur off in the sitting room as the circuit is also serving a kitchen?Wet Fish

No?
Installing a spur in the sitting room should not affect the part of the circuit serving the kitchen since you would have a duty of care to ENSURE that the alteration was carried out safely.

So you are allowed to replace socket-outlets and cables in a kitchen without notification, but are not allowed to connect a cable into the back of an existing socket-outlet through a wall into another room?

Hello allJust went to look at a job. Client wants an additional socket spurred from an existing.

Latest posts