Todays DNO call out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Done a Cu change. No problems but then while doing final checks came across the exposed live cable at the cut out.

Would you have reported it ? Or am I being picky ?

You cant get a finger in there, but a screwdriver and definitely a large part of my test probe.

DNO coming out for a safety check upto 8pm tonight.

1000028633.jpg

Can't really tell from the picture but it looks like the service head needs changing anyway as it may be DP fused from what I can see

I have no problems in calling the DNO and they would rather be called before a problem occurs

Had a few issues with service heads in the last few years

On EICR's I have found cracked or bits broken off service heads and left with exposed live parts after the smart meter fitter has been they must know they have done it but never report it, the DNO guy's say it is a common occurance so I now make a point of checking the service head especially underneath the fuseholder since

Report it, cover your arse. Everyone is ‘out to get you' nowadays as it’s easy money
But from some jobs I've been to there seems to be a barrier to reporting issues to the DNO by a fair number of electricians, rather than make a quick phone call they would rather spend more time knocking an earth rod in or just ignore the issue

I think some guys think they will possibly get in trouble for pulling fuse or something. I've found that they are always helpful and do appreciate that we have picked up on issues.

The last DNO call I was involved with, wasn't actually a serious immediate electrical danger....

The whole of the wooden back-board that meter & cut-out were mounted on, was riddled with serious wood-worm issues!!!
Basically if you poke your finger on any part of the board.. Then the meter & cut-out could have been floating in mid-air,
supported only by their cables!

[ All sorted and a new back-board fitted promptly ]

But from some jobs I've been to there seems to be a barrier to reporting issues to the DNO by a fair number of electricians, rather than make a quick phone call they would rather spend more time knocking an earth rod in or just ignore the issue
Many years ago I tried to report a dangerous condition, and the DNO would not accept my issue and told me I must notify the energy supplier. I forget exactly what it was but it must have been a problem with the meter. I also forget which energy supplier it was, but they would not accept notification of a fault by phone, I had to send them a letter with a picture. I don't know if they ever did go and correct the fault.

I think some guys think they will possibly get in trouble for pulling fuse or something. I've found that they are always helpful and do appreciate that we have picked up on issues.
My experience of DNO also. I would have reported that as a potentially dangerous condition, and as others have said, it needs an update anyway.

The last DNO call I was involved with, wasn't actually a serious immediate electrical danger....

The whole of the wooden back-board that meter & cut-out were mounted on, was riddled with serious wood-worm issues!!!
Basically if you poke your finger on any part of the board.. Then the meter & cut-out could have been floating in mid-air,
supported only by their cables!

[ All sorted and a new back-board fitted promptly ]
Had one of those a while back, only the rigidity of the old meter tails was holding anything in position. DNO promptly attended to change the back board.

Many years ago I tried to report a dangerous condition, and the DNO would not accept my issue and told me I must notify the energy supplier. I forget exactly what it was but it must have been a problem with the meter. I also forget which energy supplier it was, but they would not accept notification of a fault by phone, I had to send them a letter with a picture. I don't know if they ever did go and correct the fault.
The problem at times is the call handlers are "screen experts" they follow the script and feed in the answers and have no real world understanding of the issue being reported so if it says no it goes into the we'll get round to it pile, had to give one call handler a health and safety lesson some years ago in order to get an immediate response she didn't like as I had asked for her name beforehand I concluded the conversation with if an injury or fatality occurs while waiting for someone to visit the property her name would be passed to anybody investigating the case as I have made her the resposible dutyholder

The problem at times is the call handlers are "screen experts" they follow the script and feed in the answers and have no real world understanding of the issue being reported so if it says no it goes into the we'll get round to it pile, had to give one call handler a health and safety lesson some years ago in order to get an immediate response she didn't like as I had asked for her name beforehand I concluded the conversation with if an injury or fatality occurs while waiting for someone to visit the property her name would be passed to anybody investigating the case as I have made her the resposible dutyholder
Rather patronising someone can only do a job to the level they are trained to. If I were her I would have cut you off because there are ways of dealing with things and belittling someone is not the way to go it impresses no one. I'm sure you made her day though by mansplaining it all to her, maybe she went home feeling like a useless piece of shite thanks to you.

Last edited:
The call handlers do seem to have got better training now a day's. I always identify myself as a NAPIT registered electrician which I think helps to cut out any potential "you don't know what your talking about' scenarios.

I do agree that sometimes if you get a "script reader" it can be frustrating.

Speaking of "script readers" if I'm ever bored and get one of these "you've had an accident" or "your computer is virus infected" calls I enjoy seeing how long I can keep them on the call before they hang up.

My current record is 35 minutes. Lol

Rather patronising someone can only do a job to the level they are trained to. If I were her I would have cut you off because there are ways of dealing with things and belittling someone is not the way to go it impresses no one. I'm sure you made her day though by mansplaining it all to her, maybe she went home feeling like a useless piece of shite thanks to you.
How WOKE
After 20 minutes of hearing every reason not to attend it was needed there was a dangerous situation on equipment I'm not authorised or equipped to repair if she had put the phone down I would have escalated it to the Glasgow office or to the HSE, if a call handler does not have the knowledge or experience to meet a repair request they should pass the call to a colleague that does, it was much better when the calls were answered by people with the necessary engineering knowledge to actually understand the problem

Last edited:
I think there is someone with an electrical background reviewing the tickets raised by the call handlers, at least at Northern Power, I can remember an interesting PME fault I had where there was about 180v between the DNO PME terminal and the physical ground, 5 minutes later, I got a call back from an engineer, asking if the details were right and how was it measured (with a long drillbit as a temp electrode in the flower border with a wandering lead to their earth terminal) and it was a case of "oh right, we will get someone out ASAP"

But saying that, I had a much worse experience once, with NPG again (The border betwen the Yorkshire and East Midland Supply board areas passes through the area in which we work - and its not quite where you'd expect it to be). It was in a smallish shop, the pressure fuses on the CT metering cabinet (Combined head and CT cabinet in this instance) had been smashed by a metal cage and they had these metal cages right where the exposed live parts were. I taped some cardboard over it and spent two hours going back and forth between NPG and Meter Plus. "Metering fuses are a metering issue", "No, fuses, even metering ones are a distribution issue". In the end NPG sent a jointer out who took my cardboard off and put some warning tape on instead and said he'd have to pass it to meter plus, Meter plus sent a chap out who looked at it and said theres nothing he could do, then a second chap from meter plus was sent out, who had worked for the board in the YEB days was suitably trained and equipped to work inside the cabinet with the supply live and he fitted new fuse carriers on the inside of the cabinet so they couldn't be broken again, but what a faff