tools for trainee electrician

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^

YES I will,

pliers/cutters = KNIPEX

I dont really like the 'feel' of CK screwdrivers, 'WERA' have a nice feel to them though.

but TBH its all a personal choice,

see what peeps recommend, then try and see if you can actually get to hold different types before you buy.

As above it's between a few players and down to personal preference between them.

My preference is:

Knipex for and cutter / cable shears / pliers (Linesman)

I have a mixture of drivers for various reasons including looseing / breaking items from sets and not likely a particular driver in a given range.

I like CK's but they are but the smaller ones tend to snap easy (B&Q stock them if you want a feel), I've had the wera mentioned above and the lazer cut tip wears off in no time then the driver slips easier than any other. Stanley FatMax VDE are decent but the insulation is a little brittle and wears too quick. To be honest my most used drivers are a Difiance set I got from Neweys. Have little problems with them and cheapish to replace. Neweys also do a brilliant little termial driver with a red swivel top. I love these and they are very strong.

Alot say Irizola are the best, They may be right but I just don't get on with the oversized handles on the PZ2, etc and .................... I can't afford them :_|

Thanx barx think knipex are the ones for cutters and will have to think on the drivers

if you are tight on cash maybe try Apaches 2nd link,

as/when something breaks then upgrade to 'better', thats not a bad price for a basic starter set TBH, and I cant see it being that bad,

ie, compared with best bit of 30quid for just one set of KNIPEX Pliers then you see what you are getting for your money,

to buy that as 'good' kit would set you back best bit of

iv recently started out aswell OP, my tool kit started with the following :

Di Log voltage testers (test lamps)

Stanley sidecutters

Stanley Combi Pliers

NWS Long Nose Pliers

Haupa Waterpump Pliers

Haupa Croppers

and a set of Stanley Insulated Drivers

standard claw hammer (just happend to be stanley)

and a set of tool box sized cable rods.

Jr Hacksaw & Sr Hacksaw (irwin/bahco)

plus the usual various sized spanners and socket sets.

iv recently updated to

Bahco Ergo Sidecutters

Bahco Ergo Combi Pliers

Irazola/bahco drivers

bahco jr hack

Stanley Fat Max Waterpump Pliers

dont just go with the popularity vote though, have a feel of the tool before hand that way you can see which suits you better, my partner loves the CK stuff but personally i can not get on with it.

iv recently started out aswell OP, my tool kit started with the following :Di Log voltage testers (test lamps)

Stanley sidecutters

Stanley Combi Pliers

NWS Long Nose Pliers

Haupa Waterpump Pliers

Haupa Croppers

and a set of Stanley Insulated Drivers

standard claw hammer (just happend to be stanley)

and a set of tool box sized cable rods.

Jr Hacksaw & Sr Hacksaw (irwin/bahco)

plus the usual various sized spanners and socket sets.

iv recently updated to

Bahco Ergo Sidecutters

Bahco Ergo Combi Pliers

Irazola/bahco drivers

bahco jr hack

Stanley Fat Max Waterpump Pliers

dont just go with the popularity vote though, have a feel of the tool before hand that way you can see which suits you better, my partner loves the CK stuff but personally i can not get on with it.
just my opinion, but isnt that a lot of cash just to find something has been overpriced to start with and just cant cut it?

BTW, and its only a personal opinion, get a 20oz hammer, makes a world of difference if you are gonna be swinging it all day,

alot of the stuff we got quite cheap tbh steptoe, ebay is great for things like that!

the haupa stuff was streetlighters but he never used it so he gave it to me!

i think my claw hammer is a 16oz hammer but i will admit iv been looking at the 20oz the only problem being is i struggle with the grip on certain hammers, streetlighter has a stanley antivibe lump hammer and i hate it with a passion i can not grip it properly.

i do like buying new tools, its like an addiction! i love the bahco stuff, and its really nice to handle and use constantly wheras i struggled using the stanley ones constantly, and found i got alot of hand cramp when using it but not with the bahco!

I like the Bacho insulated drivers the Ergo ones with the slim handles, Also have some of the C.K Dextro drivers they are ok too mind i used to prefer the old Sensoplus range od VDE drivers they did.

Cutters wise currently i have Bacho side cutters and combi pliers with a decent set of cable shears or croppers if you like.

There are some good prepacked toolkits avalable from the likes of C.K and Kew Tech but i would always recommend buying individual tools to suit your own needs and buying the best quality that you can afford.

I still have Stanley drivers that I had as an apprentice so 'man and boy' also still have Knipex gland pliers and King ****, Bahco etc spanners and shifters. So those items are 30 years old and still going strong! I like my Wera screwdrivers and you can het a set for

I still have Stanley drivers that I had as an apprentice so 'man and boy' also still have Knipex gland pliers and King ****, Bahco etc spanners and shifters. So those items are 30 years old and still going strong! I like my Wera screwdrivers and you can het a set for

Latest posts