Tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWCFC

Reaction score
I'm an apprentice and I'm looking to buy some tools for myself. Where the best place to buy?

Also, toolbag or toolbox? And where from?

Stanley fat Max boxes, bags tote trays are good. As Matt says CK also good, not sure if the above items would be as cheap individually or not. I would say avoid cheapos at all costs - good quality, Stanley, draper, VDE etc etc you will be handling them everyday so you want good ones! buy cheap buy twice as they say!
default_good%20luck.gif

KWCFC............

Im in the same boat as you my friend, Ive brought a terminal Wera VDE so far im very impressed with it feels comfortable to hold fits nicely in the hand. Also the next size up in Stanley Fat Max VDE again feels nice in hand but not so sure of quality this far , it appears to of developed a rattle from blade to handle connection but it still tightens up ok.

Wera come from Screwfix and Stanley from B&Q as for storage I like the hard bottom tool bags.

buy the best that you can, but u need a basic set of hand tools for every day use...

tape measure - knife - hack saw - snips - multi cutters - pliers - screwdrivers (complete set) - hammer - lock off kit for RCD's, MCB's etc.. -

also : cordless drill / screwdriver - sds drill - test meter's etc....

dont buy cheap power tools... go for bosh pro (Blue)...

i often buy tools as i go along for each job, that way i am not spending a huge chunk of money in one go...

Cheers for the help guys. Can anyone recommend any decent hacksaws? Desperately in need of one of them at the moment.

Matt beat me to it , I dont own the irwin but I used to use one at a previous employer and found it to be a good one.

u also need a small 6" junior hack saw,

i also own the small 'forge steal' listed above and find it very useful on site

Buy the best tools You can afford . Go for a well known brand that has a proven record and look after them . I use wiha screwdrivers and I find them very good . I have some Irazola ones too which are also very good . toolboxes I use a stanley box with a tote tray and I often use a tool pouch when I'm working from steps as you have tools to hand . You will discover whats best for You over time .

it is useful to carry a large, very cheap flat head screwdriver for bashing. Ie for lifting floor tiles in offices, a good wedge for domestic floor boards etc.. large and cheap will do the job...

A good quality bolster is just the job as it is wide and lifts floor boards with minimal damage .

A good quality bolster is just the job as it is wide and lifts floor boards with minimal damage .
this is true, but a large screwdriver is lighter to carry with you in ur normal tool bag, and has more uses...

I use wera drivers and bahco cutters/pliers with the exception of the ck auto strippers and use a ck tool case for them.