torque screwdrivers- since when?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have the Manufacturers instructions to hand when changing a fusebox. I always scrible the ring and R1+R2 readings down on the back of them while im testing and wiring circuits into it LOL

I just seem to be hearing a lot about them recently. Just wondered what the recent craze was with them?

The "recent" craze in the electrical installation industry is to do with manufacturers instructions.

There are a few reasons for this.

I DO know what these reasons are, but, trust me you don't want me to start stating them, unless you want me banned.

Is it to do with that? What's the oldest instructions with a specified torque? Or is it so do with scheme providers 'enforcing' it in the loosest (spelling/even a word?) sense.

Torque screwdrivers? Bah! Another nonsense imposed on us.

I suppose next year we will all have to have a "British Standard Finger" in our toolboxes to be able to check the accuracy of IP1x apertures in enclosures.

The following year, we will all need to find a British Standard Ar*ehole" to calibrate it in.

The worlds gone mad. Mad, I tell ye....

Torque screwdrivers? Bah! Another nonsense imposed on us.I suppose next year we will all have to have a "British Standard Finger" in our toolboxes to be able to check the accuracy of IP1x apertures in enclosures.

The following year, we will all need to find a British Standard Ar*ehole" to calibrate it in.

:slap

well, plenty of them to be found in the scams,

just search 5WFW

Torque screwdrivers? Bah! Another nonsense imposed on us.I suppose next year we will all have to have a "British Standard Finger" in our toolboxes to be able to check the accuracy of IP1x apertures in enclosures.

Perhaps all sparks in future will have to have a " British Standard Ar$ehole " so that "British Standard Finger " can re-calibrated everyday. Should be part of Part P scam membership.

Perhaps all sparks in future will have to have a " British Standard Ar$ehole " so that "British Standard Finger " can re-calibrated everyday. Should be part of Part P scam membership.
Anybody want to buy a load of yellow 77, going cheap? ; \

OK,

so do we all have to have a 5WW, or can we just go to a calibration centre that has a 5WW,

better still, how about using the prison service, they have ********s in every grade I expect, right from the 5WW [who should be in jail for fraud] ,for IPx1, right up to the 92mm downlighter size.!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:10 ----------

Anybody want to buy a load of yellow 77, going cheap? ; \
KY may be a better market to be in. :|

So have manufacturers recently gone crazy?
Well [and these are my personal and Merlot fuelled musings, so therefore are Gospel and NOT to be decried in any way shape or form]

It started a couple of years ago when manufacturers realised it was cheaper to affix a sticker that stated [check all connections are tight, even factory installed ones] than it was to tighten them correctly in the first place!....'Merchantable quality' anybody??

If we 'have to check connections' what do we 'check' them against? The only source of reference is the Manufacturers Data. If they mention a Torque setting then we have to 'check the Torque' and not just 'Talk the Torque'

The 7671 mentions 'manufacturers instructions must be followed'....[even if they are wrong? :innocent ]

Then the manufacturers see a bandwagon passing and hitch a ride to the bank, picking up the conscientious passengers along the way, and charging