Torque screwdrivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Electricians I know have torque Screwdrivers and never use them. I'm not aware that they have ever been pulled up on it though. Maybe the fact that they own them is plenty or Mr Assessor to be happy.
Strange , all electricians I know don't have one and don't give a flying phart about torque settings and just about sick and tired of being forced to shell out more and more cash all the time .

Let me see now , no work on, no money coming in , paid in for last month ...nil , bills to pay ,food to buy, utilities to pay, holidays cancelled , .....................hhhmmmmmm!! Now what do I really need .....Ah!!! of course ...a torque screwdriver ....only

Just thought I would bump this thread.My reason is I have been asked to provide all torque settings and a copy of my torque drivers calibration certificate with all issued EIC's.

Good job I have a set or I would have been goosed.
I wonder how many clients even know the tools exist....

Couldn't face the

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble with the torque settings given by the makers of the kit is that it is one setting for all.

In other words, a bit of an odd example perhaps, but a 6A MCB with a single 1mm sq in it the torque setting will be xNm.

If due to volt drop issues you have to put a 4mm sq in the same mcb then the torque setting will be xNm.

Now if you add a 2nd leg to the circuit which is another 4mm sq then the torque will be xNm.

In fact, I have just checked a document I have with multiple manufacturers torque settings.

The only one to vary the settings is Schneider (Merlin Gerin), where for certain devices, not all, they specify different torque requirements for single or multiple cables, mind it is an old document. Hager have 2 columns in their data sheet, but, they are both the same.

Most give a single setting for all MCB's in a range no matter what type of wire end is in use, its size, nor how many.

Thus for MK MCB's it is 2-2.5Nm for a single 1mm sq solid from a T&E, and the same for a 16mm sq 6491 type, and the same for a 4mm sq flex with or without a ferrule, etc.

This goes against some of the bolted joint theory that I have studied.

M'Lud, pray that I may take leave to remind the Jury of my prvious rantings?

I cite the case of "Tighten, Tuggit, leave-it, n'Tuggitagain" v "Torque-it & Leave-it" in the matter of 25mm 7 strand tails in a cage terminal

I am fiddling in the workshop tomorrow so I may well dig out the torquey stuf and perform an experiment under 'garage conditions'

Can someone post up a quick list of torque settings to save me pratting around searching for y paperwork as it is buried somewhere and I have the memory of a Politician at the moment!... :coat

Was reading an article yesterday regarding returned faulty Mcb's, the manufacturer said the majority of returned faulty Mcb's were due to being overtightened and said if you see the mcb case spread apart on your final turn of the screw it's knackered and should not be used. :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have to start taking my torque wrench to work now then,,,,,,can you get +/- 3/8" square drive bits yet ? :|
you can get adapters to use a standard driver bit with 3/8 & 1/4 drive ratchets (small 1/4 drive ratchet & driver bit is much easier to work with in tight space than a stubby driver)

you can also get a driver bit designed for fit directly onto a 1/4 drive ratchet, but easier with an adapter

But Ive never saw any of them fangled MCB drivers available for inserting into drivers, i have loads of 'normal' bits, including square heads, just no +- bits.
They do exist, **** do them

http://www.****tools.com/300seri/307serie.htm

And Wera

Products: Wera

Cant find them in the UK

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:59 ----------

why is W I H A bad?

I had the same discussion about Schneider breakers the 10 amp was the same torque as the 20 amp.

I just do what I am told these days and comply with the manufacturers instructions. Not many clients do know about the torque drivers, but the ones I work for certainly do and are a lot more picky on other things as well.

So can we actually get a +- VDE blade for the torque driver or is it one step forward and one back?

Was hoping for one of the insulated blades but thats similar to what id managed to find.

Would just sit better with me, even on a fully isolated board i dont like the idea of sticking a bit of uncovered metal in it. Irrational yes, but id rather stay on the side of safety.