Torque screwdrivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interestingly I think torque screwdrivers are going to become a standard part of an electricians tool kit, especially if new reccomendations are upheld.

What would you do if you torqued it to the required amount and felt it wasnt enough? ignore it and do it a bit more? or leave it and worry all night, but feel rest assured the manuf would come to you rescue if it went into meltdown?

What would you do if you torqued it to the required amount and felt it wasnt enough? ignore it and do it a bit more? or leave it and worry all night, but feel rest assured the manuf would come to you rescue if it went into meltdown?
use the torque setting built into my wrist

Thats a expensive chocolate teapot then!

Anyone know what 1.7NM feels like? doesnt sound alot to me.

see, thats where I( get lost,

I do know how to pull 13lbs though on my little 3/8 bar, :)

I can do about 1/2 a dozen of the more common torques as found on Honda V4s and Yamaha 250 2Ts , but as for NM, not a clue. :C

Thats a expensive chocolate teapot then! Anyone know what 1.7NM feels like? doesnt sound alot to me.
Doesn't feel alot piece of **** to undo as well, certainly not enough that you'd feel comfortable leaving it at that (just had a non scientific test with my torque wrench)

You also need to realise that these torque settings are for devices connected in the fixed structure of the building.

Thus not subjected to any external influences, vibration, which is an external influence will need to be considered if the termination is subjected tot his such as in or attached to a rotating machine otherwise subjected to vibration, and, that this may well have an affect on the required torque setting, as may the number and make up of he conductors present at the termination.

You also need to realise that these torque settings are for devices connected in the fixed structure of the building.Thus not subjected to any external influences, vibration, which is an external influence will need to be considered if the termination is subjected tot his such as in or attached to a rotating machine otherwise subjected to vibration, and, that this may well have an affect on the required torque setting, as may the number and make up of he conductors present at the termination.
So in effect we'd be better off leaving it upto the installing electrician to judge the soundness of his connections rather than an arbitary number?, as for rotating machines, how about the factory maintence department inspecting for that and other faults from time to time (if they havn't all been contracted out!)

So in effect we'd be better off leaving it upto the installing electrician to judge the soundness of his connections rather than an arbitary number?, as for rotating machines, how about the factory maintence department inspecting for that and other faults from time to time (if they havn't all been contracted out!)
I think what he's saying is a CU is not designed to a set/known amount of forces - A machine in a factory is, as that is how its designed (fixed or moving)

I think there are some of you who are thinking what the hell? Well, I am going to try to explain. What Sidewinder is aiming at is for our protection, you can if you wish ignore his advise, but if I where you I would listen and take note. To be honest the implications and comebacks are very remote, Sidewinder would agree with me here, however, I for one am glad Sidewinder brought this to my attention, at least now I know that I am expected to take full responsibility for the design and use of an adapted consumer unit.

Take note, we are all to often taken for granted.

I think there are some of you who are thinking what the hell? Well, I am going to try to explain. What Sidewinder is aiming at is for our protection, you can if you wish ignore his advise, but if I where you I would listen and take note. To be honest the implications and comebacks are very remote, Sidewinder would agree with me here, however, I for one am glad Sidewinder brought this to my attention, at least now I know that I am expected to take full responsibility for the design and use of an adapted consumer unit.Take note, we are all to often taken for granted.
are you on the correct thread Manator? :C