TT earthing arangment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedd

Reaction score
Hi can any one help, I have a TT earthing arrangment I have a Ze reading of

28.1 ohms my ring main has a R1+R2 of 0.65 so Zs=Ze28.1+R1+R2 0.65=Zs 28.75

Bs7671 is asking for 1.44 up to 32A x.8=1.15ohms I'am getting 28.75 what am I not understand.

Regards Apprentice sparks

You won't ever (is possible tho) meet disconnection times on a tt which is why all circuits must be covered by 30mA rcd which will be ok upto 1666 ohms hth

Hi can any one help, I have a TT earthing arrangment I have a Ze reading of28.1 ohms my ring main has a R1+R2 of 0.65 so Zs=Ze28.1+R1+R2 0.65=Zs 28.75

Bs7671 is asking for 1.44 up to 32A x.8=1.15ohms I'am getting 28.75 what am I not understand.

Regards Apprentice sparks
I think you will find you are reading BS7671 wrong, the tables you are reading do not relate to TT installations. The max Zs for TT refer to the type of RCD used and they are in a different table. I shall move this thread to the student zone, where it is more appropriate.

Doc H.

didnt get home til gone 11, :(

but, there are a lot more learned than me here, and anyway, its not that hard, some of my learned friends are coping with the issue very admirably. :)

Did you test the Ze (which is in effect Ra on a TT circuit) with the incoming services still connected to the MET ?. Water and gas servcies run in copper pipe are notorious for giving a much better earth reading than the earth rod itself. I lost count of the number of times I measured the Ra minus the services and got a reading way over 200 ohms but with the services connected the 'Ze' would be a very low reading.

Did you test the Ze (which is in effect Ra on a TT circuit) with the incoming services still connected to the MET ?. Water and gas servcies run in copper pipe are notorious for giving a much better earth reading than the earth rod itself. I lost count of the number of times I measured the Ra minus the services and got a reading way over 200 ohms but with the services connected the 'Ze' would be a very low reading.
How do you manage that??........with the 'Earthing Conductor' disconnected from the MET, as it should be, for Ze or Ra, it wouldn't matter if the service 'Bonding' was still connected to the MET.

Well yesterday, installed a W/P FCU for electric gate supply, the fuseboard was in the gardeners garage store.

Started with a ZS on one of the sockets just to see what it was like and with the intention of do an RCD test also.

ZS came up at 384 ohms, not good, moved onto RCD test with the Megger 1730, would not test with a warning triangle and a >50V touch voltage reading.

Did a test on the rod +400 ohms.

I've not had a reading this high since having the 1730, and did not realise it will not continue with the test if a reading of >50V is measured.

Live and learn, going back next week to bang in a new rod away from the building, as the current one is up against the wall.

This is where I hate TT, rod going in ground but what's down there ??