tt with no rcd

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the replies, and in retrospect I should not have worked on the circuit.

Will tell him the bad news tomorrow. I will also ask about the eic for the rewire and new cu which was apparently 6years ago. Bet there isn't any paperwork.

I was sure that tt systems should be all rcd, but seeing the new cu etc,all neatly wred,looked a nice tidy job,and I assumed that whoever installed must have known what they were doing, and I was just being stupid. I now know different. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for all the replies, and in retrospect I should not have worked on the circuit.Will tell him the bad news tomorrow. I will also ask about the eic for the rewire and new cu which was apparently 6years ago. Bet there isn't any paperwork.

I was sure that tt systems should be all rcd, but seeing the new cu etc,all neatly wred,looked a nice tidy job,and I assumed that whoever installed must have known what they were doing, and I was just being stupid. I now know different. Thanks everyone.
One thing you do need to check.....

Is the CU close to the meter with short tails?

Or is there a longer submain....

Possibly with a stand alone, front end, 100ma time delayed RCD by the suppliers cut out and meter?

AND

was there a next inspection date sticker on the CU?

If no sticker it is often an indication of a quick job... corners cut...

Cuz anyone who's done all the proper tests...

generally puts a sticker on IMHO!

Last edited by a moderator:
At a charity that i do work at a previous gang of sparks had TT'd two of the buildings and installed 16th edition boards so none of the lighting and few fixed circuits had no RCD protection. Luckily nothing had caught on fire in the five or six years they had been installed. I managed to get TD Rcd's for boards so it was a reasonably easy update at the time to make them safe. It always amazes me there are not more electrical fires.

just to add to this thread recently sat a 2391 course and we were all told what philbas has stated that tt do not require an rcd if the zs is low enough. this started a 90 minute debate and a few arguments & quite a bit of confusion. in my opinion whether the ze,zs was extremely low i would still protect all circuits regardless via an rcd.

just to add to this thread recently sat a 2391 course and we were all told what philbas has stated that tt do not require an rcd if the zs is low enough. this started a 90 minute debate and a few arguments & quite a bit of confusion. in my opinion whether the ze,zs was extremely low i would still protect all circuits regardless via an rcd.
But with the 17th edition, Rcd's for buried cables, sockets, bathrooms etc nearly all circuits would need them anyway so just put in a dual Rcd board and bobs your grandma.

And what if somebody replaces water pipe or gas pipe that you are getting your smashing reading from with a nice plastic one suddenly you may loose that great reading and leaver property in a dangerous situation.

Latest posts