Two Cables As Good As One?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
Hi,helping a friend put his cooker in yesterday,it has 6mm t&e feed to isolator then from isolator to oven my pal ran two 2.5mm t&e cables as we'd run out of 6mm,the cooker is on a 32amp breaker.the power rating of the cooker is below 32amps easy.

Can you do this? will the two 2.5mm cables behave in same way a 5mm cable would?(not that ive seen 5mm cable).

Why dont i ever think out of the box like this!

Bud just do it properly and go down to B&Q, wholesaler or even wilkinsons who can sell you some 6mm by the metre its hardly going to break the bank!

thanks,it was on easter sunday,so everything was shut,so its in now,was just worrying about it,if it was safe?

What is the rating of the Cooker then.

Cables in parallel of the same size and length are acceptable, the combined cpc will be larger than the 6.0mm² T&E.

I personally would not do it.

Cables in parallel of the same size and length are acceptable, the combined cpc will be larger than the 6.0mm² T&E.

thank you

Someone posted recently three 2.5 FTE in parallel feeding a shower, that nobody thought much of. But that's 7.5mm so what was wrong with it? :coat

Someone posted recently three 2.5 FTE in parallel feeding a shower, that nobody thought much of. But that's 7.5mm so what was wrong with it? :coat

Parallel conductors are permitted but careful consideration has to be made of the fusing of cables..

especially where 3 or more are employed..

the post you refer to with the 3x 2.5mm was that off a 40A MCB? or a 32A....

e.g. say 1 x 2.5mm has 20A+ capacity so 3x 2.5mm should be good for 60A total load across all three 2.5mm's

Forget the normal running load currents and consider a Live-Earth fault in a Non-RCD protected single leg of that parallel circuit? 

Say if it were off a 50A MCB how much can one of these 1.5mm CPC's carry?  would the MCB trip first or melt the CPC?

Think of the potential overload issues with a broken ring circuit with some conductors not continuous..

Appendix 10 gives more detail..   where it gets complex individual fusing of legs has to be considered...

Back to the OP's question...

Excluding ring circuits..  in domestic wiring..

there is virtually NO valid reason for not using appropriate cables for all circuits...

(if shops are closed...  wait until you can get correct materials!!!)

In my book this comes under.. Good workmanship & proper materials  reg 134.1.1

as opposed to botched up cowboy make do work practices!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's often done on GIANT industrial cables where weight of one cable would be an issue, BUT domestically it's NOT good practice. 

Appendix 10 looks like a whole heap of trouble, which i dont want to read all of it as it will push something important out of my head, although the first paragraph does seem exclude this situation as far as I can see.

Latest posts