Un-Effing Believable!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worse ones are the ones you rotate a silly bit to engage the lug. The threaded bit just pushes away as you try and engage the screw.

Or the ones where the designer thought a round threaded insert in a round hole is going to stay put.

Last edited by a moderator:
you might get away with using some 15mm metal angle or L-section for top and bottom of the row of sockets, and possibly the sides too.

Looks to me as there will be no gap between the faceplates, and no danger of the decorator filling the boxes with falling filler.

Like this

s2druc.jpg

you might get away with using some 15mm metal angle or L-section for top and bottom of the row of sockets, and possibly the sides too.

Looks to me as there will be no gap between the faceplates, and no danger of the decorator filling the boxes with falling filler.

Like this

s2druc.jpg
Nah! Some low expansion gun foam and a sharp knife would sort that! 
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

i wouldnt be making a frame from steel because the plaster is too lazy to do his job properly

Nah! Some low expansion gun foam and a sharp knife would sort that! 
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
The foam might crush when the faceplates are screwed on, and when someone plugs something in. Also there might be problems with ignitibilty in the enclosure.

i wouldnt be making a frame from steel because the plaster is too lazy to do his job properly
It is just two (possibly 4) bits of metal (aluminium?) screwed through the plasterboard with self-tapping screws. Hardly fabrication ; -)

Just trying to think of a way to make everyone on the site, including the client, a bit happier.

Should we not do our jobs properly, just because someone earlier in the chain didn't do theirs?

Would be an extra of course.

In this instance if be inclined to swap out the boxes for a 35 or 47 as required, it's not like removing and replacing is going to damage the finish any more than it is?!

You leave cables hanging out of boxes? Not surprised the plasterer has it in for you.
Why should cables not be hanging out of boxes?

If i have left my cables at whatever length it is for a reason, there is no need for any plasterer to cut any cables. It is nothing to do with them. I do not like to squash mine in the box, and i often leave a little extra in case something has to be altered.

-With 'dot N dab' it usually does not matter if the hole is bigger as it can be filled in around them with hardwall.

-Dry lined i cut the socket out at the end using a map to locate my cables.

-With Insulation board 50mm-100mm i have used 2x 47 back boxes screwed back to back off the wall, making up 94mm from wall.

That pic looks like the board is screwed to battens off the wall, due to the depth.

If i was being nice i would remove the back boxes and pack out each with either another box or wood behind, to get the edge to the face of the board.

If they was been idiots and i had mounted the boxes to the specified distance from the wall. I would be charging them more / wait for them to come up with a solution before i returned.

Why should cables not be hanging out of boxes?

If i have left my cables at whatever length it is for a reason, there is no need for any plasterer to cut any cables. It is nothing to do with them. I do not like to squash mine in the box, and i often leave a little extra in case something has to be altered.
I can coil cables in a box and leave enough slack for slight alterations. If you are having to do major alterations after the plasterer has been in on a regular basis I would review the reasons why. I see no reason to make other trades lives difficult, it works both ways, I gain respect from other trades by being courteous.

Yes and a bit of 50mm duct tape over it to keep some of the plaster of the coiled up tails, out of the box and stop the plaster clogging up the 3.5mm screw holes.

The foam might crush when the faceplates are screwed on, and when someone plugs something in. Also there might be problems with ignitibilty in the enclosure.

It is just two (possibly 4) bits of metal (aluminium?) screwed through the plasterboard with self-tapping screws. Hardly fabrication ; -)

Just trying to think of a way to make everyone on the site, including the client, a bit happier.

Should we not do our jobs properly, just because someone earlier in the chain didn't do theirs?

Would be an extra of course.
Erm........had hoped the tongue in cheek meant I wasn't being serious!  :lol:

EDIT: Aluminium, have you considered possible electrolytic reaction if it touches the back box? 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a bloke I used to sub to that would have a 10mm² earth bolted to that as well.

putting cables in the boxes for plasterers, encourages those idiots to float there trowel straight over the top of the box and fill it with plaster.

Taping wires out horizontal acts as a deterrent for them not to do that.

Taping something sharp to poke there eye out might encourage them to be more careful around cables.

putting cables in the boxes for plasterers, encourages those idiots to float there trowel straight over the top of the box and fill it with plaster.
Remember that mutual respect thing? Yeah, that's why plasterers don't fill my boxes, rather they usually clean the boxes out for me if they have inadvertantly got a bit of plaster in there.

No point trying to convince me it is a good idea to leave cables out, I have never met a decent electrician or plasterer that would agree with that.