Undercut again

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Asked by a freind of a freind for a 3 bed semi rewire price....

New cu / new ring for kitchen / radial up & down sso's / shower / boiler heating controls / lighting up down & outside (pir's outside) / bonding upgraded / replace t/e submain to garage with swa / add sockets in garage / cooker circuit / 3x masterseal sso on own radial across patio.

I said in the region of

:_| And this is your mate? Some Mate?!

Sorry - A friend of a friend. :(

your price sounds fair enough.

i recently put in a price for a 5 bed three storey complete rewire. i went in at

It is just getting way to daft for my liking, I cannnot compete against these kind of people anymore, I just do not have the strength.

Asked by a freind of a freind for a 3 bed semi rewire price....New cu / new ring for kitchen / radial up & down sso's / shower / boiler heating controls / lighting up down & outside (pir's outside) / bonding upgraded / replace t/e submain to garage with swa / add sockets in garage / cooker circuit / 3x masterseal sso on own radial across patio.

I said in the region of

I would say the price was very reasonable, but at the momnet with so many site monkeys going self employed there are a lot of idiots undercutting prices who aren't registered etc etc, and will learn that in a years time when the tax man demandeth money that they have no money to pay the bill. I discovered that the hard way :( . The VAT bit is very unlikely - if they have only just started out, then it sounds like a ploy for hiding costs in the job and I would suggest to your customer that they are taking sh1te, and cannot therefore be trusted.

It has often been said on here that one of the reasons part P fails and the undercutting cowboys flourish is lack of understanding by the customer.

Have any of you made up a sheet saying who you are, qualifications, certifying body (go to this link to check my credentials?). Explaining about your liability and indemnity insurance and VAT registered status (VAT number?)

If you said my quote includes

XYZ and a guarantee (one offered by scheme provider)

full certificates (explain need for selling/insurance)

etc etc

Make sure your comparable quotes can offer these things!

That type of document? Wouldn't take long to knock up and might get the customer asking some basic questions of the cowboys.

Just a thought

ELECSA give you 3 (and sell more) folders to include quotes in that explains about them, part P and why you should choose them. TBH I haven't read one though but that kind of thing sounds like a good idea.

Ian.

ELECSA give you 3 (and sell more) folders to include quotes in that explains about them, part P and why you should choose them. TBH I haven't read one though but that kind of thing sounds like a good idea.Ian.
any chance of scanning them ????

From their website:

These folders are designed for you to give your customers quotes in. The inside cover tells them all about Part P and why it's important to use a registered contractor, like yourself. With space for you to attach your own business card as well, it will help you to look more professional than your competitors.

PFolder&inside-500.jpg

Not sure I can scan it though as it's going to be copyrighted. Who is your scam provider as they may do something similar (and if not then maybe point out ELECSA do this).

Ian.

It has often been said on here that one of the reasons part P fails and the undercutting cowboys flourish is lack of understanding by the customer. Have any of you made up a sheet saying who you are, qualifications, certifying body (go to this link to check my credentials?). Explaining about your liability and indemnity insurance and VAT registered status (VAT number?)

If you said my quote includes

XYZ and a guarantee (one offered by scheme provider)

full certificates (explain need for selling/insurance)

etc etc

Make sure your comparable quotes can offer these things!

That type of document? Wouldn't take long to knock up and might get the customer asking some basic questions of the cowboys.

Just a thought
I always try and do this and just to make it very clear for the customer I proceed to let them know how I would be doing the job i.e. what is exactly required for the job to be done correctly, if you know what I mean ;)

That way when the cowboys do come in to cut corners the customer can make sure they do the job the way it should be - at an extra cost to them!

I even tell the customer not to pay untill they are 100% happy with the work. :^O

I will now tell you why your reasonable quotation is undercut every time (unless the quote is from a like minded electrician)

Rewire

To the customer this is a simple replace the cables with new ones.

To you its reposition and add extra outlets as per building regs guidlines.

CU change

To the customer this means taking old one off and putting new one on.(simple)

To you this means a full Insulation test verification of existing earth(thats before you start)

The list goes on and on.

What you have to do is spend time doing your quotes, listen to what the customer wants and tell them you have seen this been done before or doing it this way would give you more benifit etc.

Tell them whilst you are in their home who you are what you can do and why you do it!

I make a point of telling my clients to shop around, get as many quotes as you can, but get the quote on the information I will provide.

I then go room by room giving them every option to add change or special features like automated lighting for example.

When I leave they know exactly what I have quoted for.

I also give them payment options even though I take payment from cards I always advise against using a credit card because of the interest charges. Debit cards are fine no interest to pay.

Electricians fees are or should be in your area about the same, the materials would be around the same so if someone comes in well lower than you could do it they aint electricians and should if any new laws come into force be shot!

Tell the customer this!

Then make sure they know that you give a warranty where others if not registered will not.

I think your price is spot on, I would go at about 2 to 2&1/2 for a normal 2&1/2 bed semi, plus there is outside bits to do.

Ive got fed up refusing to price jobs down.

my mate has visited a customer 3 times , to look at a fault,to quote for rewiring just the lighting,quote for a full rewire

3 x 20 mile round trips,

3 bed semi 2.5k nothing special,,,,,,,,chased it up this week and was told they have given it to someone else who was cheaper

they wouldnt say what price but it could be time wasting.... :(

The biggest problem is and always has been that your average person knows less than sod all about wiring - we all know the scenario 'if it works, it's OK'. It's all too easy to assume that everyone is going to use their common sense and check credentials, etc. but in reality most people lack common sense and, on looking at potential tradesmen, they don't have a clue what the credentials are. Some of these cowboys may lack electrical skills but they probably have a good way with words. Con men in other words.

The scary fact is that there's a sh*t load of appalling work going on that's a): giving the genuine traders a band name and B): taking trade away from dedicated professionals who've invested time and money into their skills.

Surely it's about time the regulations were made rock solid to prevent these jokers from being able to work. Part P is obviously totally useless, local building controls are inexperienced and bordering on incompetent and in general the regulations mean f*** all when some monkey can bung a few wires in, make the lights come on and declare job done.

And the bottom line is that electricians are being crapped on from a great height.

Does anyone really expect things to change?

Does anyone really expect things to change?
Depends on how many important peoples relatives/friends die from cowboys. Then it will change and quickly.

Ian.

From their website:These folders are designed for you to give your customers quotes in. The inside cover tells them all about Part P and why it's important to use a registered contractor, like yourself. With space for you to attach your own business card as well, it will help you to look more professional than your competitors.

PFolder&inside-500.jpg

Not sure I can scan it though as it's going to be copyrighted. Who is your scam provider as they may do something similar (and if not then maybe point out ELECSA do this).

Ian.
I would use these folders as I think they would make a big difference to customers but I post out most of my quotes and the folders are just too big, if they were the right size to go into and A4 envelope I'd use them but they are IIRC from the ones they sent me in my welcome pack too big. Does anyone use these and send them through the post on here?

quoted job 2day

customer wanted swa cable on recommendation

outside pillar light to go on decking 15m away

looked at it cable run ok,,,simple job but time consuming.....