Underfloor Heating Working Still Even When Switched Off At The Control

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immi

Reaction score
Recently had the gas boiler fixed as a result electric underfloor heating coming on even though its own switch is off

Well the "gas engineer" has messed with the electrics then.

I wonder what a gas engineer would say if a visting electrician started messing with the gas installation?

Could it be the contacts on the UFH switch welded together due to incorrect current rating?

Doc H.

There is also the possibility this is a complete coincidence. How many times do you go to a job, change a fuse in a spur and get blamed for the garage door opener remnotes failing?

Not enough info from OP. What is feeding what, any time clocks, some pics of controls etc... woudl help if nothing else.

As the op describes this as electric underfloor heating the wiring should be completely independent of the gas boiler. Possibly the UFH has been left on, for longer than normal durations, to try and generate some heat, due to the gas boiler being faulty. Now the boiler is fixed only just tried turning th UFH off and finding it permanent on?

Doc H.

More info definitely needed by the OP.

Doc Hudson's scenario sounds plausible.

I have seen heating engineers fiddling with electric UFH controllers thinking that they are programmable roomstats for the wet CH. Perhaps it is set to manual?

There is no way you can know this.

You are correct Lurch, I was just assuming a simple dedicated electric heating circuit independent of the wet boiler heating system.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently had the gas boiler fixed as a result electric underfloor heating coming on even though its own switch is off

Do you mean that it is on ALL of time...

Or...

Do you mean that it is coming on/off at "apparent random" times of the day ??????

Any competent electrician should be able to suss & test this out without too much problem...

Some Gas/Heating engineers may well struggle if it is not basic / working / colour coded / live, earths & neutrals.!